apache canoes very pic heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Hello all this is my first attempt at a write up so please go easy on me.

I have been looking at getting into open canoeing for a while and was initially looking at the Costco special- the pelican explorer dlx. Then after chatting with Singeblister and Andywinkk I was directed over to apache canoes ( http://www.apachecanoes.co.uk/ ) to have a look at theirs.
Now they look great on the website but being honest they looked a lot better than I needed or could manage, but they was very pretty and I had to have a closer look. So I rang Stu at apache for a chat and some advice as all the piccys on his website looked like the guys knew what they was doing. After a long phone call where I probably asked a load of silly questions we had arranged to meet up and have a paddle.
This was more than I had ever expected as I was just enquiring about the boats and how they would be for beginners. As neither Lin or myself have done any paddling really. My last go in a canoe was in my teens on an adventure weekend and that was eons ago.
So it was with a certain amount of trepidation that we set off on a wet cold Sunday morning to meet up at the lock side. I had visions of falling straight in and sinking the canoe just trying to get in. Arriving at the waterside and meeting Stu and Helen we was immediately put at ease and Stu was sharing his knowledge before we even got into the water.
This was the moment of truth…into the water
P2150030.jpg

The canoe wobbled a bit when I got in and my nerves got back up so Stu grabbed the side of the canoe and told me how far over it would go and still be stable……at the same time rocking the canoe with his hand. When I finally got over my heart attack I had complete confidence in the canoe and set off.
P2150028.jpg

Full of confidence I came back and got out so Lin could have a go.
P2150032.jpg

P2150033.jpg

So far so good. Nobody has fallen in yet and both of us are starting to find our canal legs. So we both get in and set off for a paddle down the canal. Fully expecting to tip it and fall in. Not to worry really with Stu paddling along beside us.
P2150037.jpg

Well no worries on that front we just set off and in a few minutes we had worked out a few of our wobbles. Our fault not the canoes it must be said.
P2150041.jpg

Feeling like old hands at this point
P2150052.jpg

The canoe performed great and was really and I mean really easy to paddle even though we don’t know what we were doing. When Stu got in it to show us what it was capable of he had it tipping right over with the gunnels (I thinks that’s what they call wooden bits on the side) very nearly in the water and it was still stable, doing turns and paddling hard down the canal.
All in all the canoe sold its self and we have ordered one. The biggest problem we had was deciding on colour. As a starting point the customer service is second to none and I fully expect the same level to continue as the purchase progresses. I will post up any updates as we go along and some piccys of my canoe when I get it.
So if you are after a canoe, have a look at apache canoes I don’t think you will go far wrong.

Greg

as usual no connection with the seller just becoming a very happy customer.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I doubt it Greg - the object of a review is to interest third partiesin a subject by providing information in a clear, non-objective way - just as you did.
I review kit for a living - it pays none too well, but I mainly get to keep the review samples - your review has made me interested in the Apaches (though I dislike saddle seats as they play havock with my duff knees) and since the demise of Canoeist Magazine I have not had a canoe mag ro review for.
Plus - my old plywood stitch and tape canoe has a terminal case of dry rot and will only be good for a couple of trips more.
Plus - since downsizing from eight canoes in my teaching fleet (when I ran my own canoe coaching outfit) to a mere four canoes (occassional coaching when I am not freelancing) I realised that no canoeist can survive with LESS than four....so I will soon need another...and have no spare dosh!
I have heard and passed on recommmendations of Apaches (a desert tribe with no canoe tradition...?) now I want one!
You did a fine review - I just want a free canoe!

Mike B

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2006
Wakefield West Yorks
And another one takes the plunge!!.
I knew you'd get one once you tried it and given the same choice I would have gone for the Apache too.
And like I said mate I'm only over the hills from you so if you fancy getting together for a paddle give us a shout.
Mike B...

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
So, which colour did you settle on then? :red:
The ivory one you were trying out, looks really classy, where as my own "Das Boot"? well....she's green...bless her!:rolleyes:

Very best of luck Greg.;)

John, can I ask what you recommend for tying the boat to the roof bars?
I've got two 25mm x 5m and two 25mmx2.5m cam lock straps but I'm not too taken with the way the boat still moves a little with a side wind.
I've also, since then, invested in the Thule load stops,so it's not going to come off, I'm more worried about damaging the boat hull.;)

Cheers
R.B.:D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
To tie my canoes down I use cam-lock straps - but 50cm wide to spread the load on the hull.
I loop the straps on the bars as close to the boats gunnels as possible and then get them as tight as possible (to the point of swinging my 15 stone on the end of the strap if it is a plastic hull not glass).
I have never injured a canoe doing this and never had a boat shift too much either!
Some folk use lashings from their end loops (!) to towing eyes on their cars as well. Using a big van I have never felt the need...

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
To tie my canoes down I use cam-lock straps - but 50cm wide to spread the load on the hull.
I loop the straps on the bars as close to the boats gunnels as possible and then get them as tight as possible (to the point of swinging my 15 stone on the end of the strap if it is a plastic hull not glass).
I have never injured a canoe doing this and never had a boat shift too much either!
Some folk use lashings from their end loops (!) to towing eyes on their cars as well. Using a big van I have never felt the need...

Cheers John and apologies to Greg for hijacking his thread:sad6:
R.B.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
Can I be so bold as to ask what the 'damage' was for this fine craft?

LBL

AAAAhhhh I cannot really say as the finer details have not really been worked out yet. If you are interested ring Stu at apache and have a natter as there is a few options that you can take. Not much help i know sorry but I would not want to lead you on a bum steer. On a rough note they come ina round the same price as the costco canoes if you are willing to put some work in.

Greg

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I doubt it Greg - the object of a review is to interest third partiesin a subject by providing information in a clear, non-objective way - just as you did.

I have heard and passed on recommmendations of Apaches (a desert tribe with no canoe tradition...?) now I want one!
You did a fine review - I just want a free canoe!

Cheers for that vote of confidence. i just really wrote up or afternoon out and tried find good and bad points but to be honest I really struggled to find any bad points with the canoe.

Greg

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
And another one takes the plunge!!.
I knew you'd get one once you tried it and given the same choice I would have gone for the Apache too.
And like I said mate I'm only over the hills from you so if you fancy getting together for a paddle give us a shout.
Mike B...

It was a foregone conclusion really wasn't it :lmao: When I get it I will drop you a Pm and see if we can get a trip sorted out the more help and advice i can get the better.

Greg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE