Anyone used seasoned Olive wood?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 28, 2013
The North
Good Evening,

i wondered, has anyone any experience of carving simple utencils from olive wood?

the reason i ask, i saw some reasonably priced chopping boards in an outlet type place at the weekend and it got me thinking, its a beautiful looking grain and i,ve never used any.

i can imagine its quite hard going , but i have some good quality carving tools and think that a couple of spatulas or salad sporky type things would be a nice project,

i,m no stranger to the odd blister (insert smut if you must)

but just wondered if it was worth the effort and the 4 or 5 pounds for potentially buggering up a perfectly good chopping board.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have used Olive wood, from charity shop bargain chopping boards to handle knives but not for spoonage - but if I found a good supply I would!
I love that wood!

Gailainne

Life Member
I did exactly that, bought two different thickness cheese boards, as you said the grain is amazing, it seems to carve and sand well, I certainly got a really good finish on the knife handles I've made from it. One thing tho because its not stabilised, you may have issues with cracks developing, problem is the best grain (I think) is where branches are developing which looks like a weak area, one of the scales on my necker started a crack but I just put in some epoxy to seal it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I did exactly that, bought two different thickness cheese boards, as you said the grain is amazing, it seems to carve and sand well, I certainly got a really good finish on the knife handles I've made from it. One thing tho because its not stabilised, you may have issues with cracks developing, problem is the best grain (I think) is where branches are developing which looks like a weak area, one of the scales on my necker started a crack but I just put in some epoxy to seal it.
I have never used stabilized wood on any knives - just well seasoned :)
One where I used Teak and Iron wood needs occassional sanding as the rounds of wood shrink and expand at very different rates!

2trapper

Forager
Apr 11, 2011
Italy
very good wood. Here in Italy it's widely used for spoons and spatulae. Very long lasting but quite hard to carve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE