Anyone recommend a wood carving forum?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi All,

Although these boards are a wealth of information for practical crafts I have been looking for a dedicated forum for wood carving and related topics.
Really just looking for something to broaden my knowledge and perhaps find some ideas and information.

Searching Tapatalk and google haven't come up with much as most seem to be the carpentry and furniture making variety.

Anyone know of any thy focus on carving and traditional type craft they can recommend?

Cheers, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peteswright

Jun 10, 2017
Sheffield
Hi All,

Although these boards are a wealth of information for practical crafts I have been looking for a dedicated forum for wood carving and related topics.
Really just looking for something to broaden my knowledge and perhaps find some ideas and information.

Searching Tapatalk and google haven't come up with much as most seem to be the carpentry and furniture making variety.

Anyone know of any thy focus on carving and traditional type craft they can recommend?

Cheers, Hamster

I joined this forum recently for the reason your quoting! I couldn't find any UK forums for Whittling/Carving (Flat Plane Carving mainly) they're all American which don't help if needing British suppliers & English terminology etc. Keep me in mind if you find anything please. I'm completely new to this btw. Don't want you thinking I'm an experienced carver lol. ATB. Pete.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wood Carving Illustrated (magazine) hosts what are likely the biggest forums devoted exclusively to wood carving on the internet.
No furniture, no carpentry. The usual debates about tool quality and paints, wood choices and the nonstop debates about sharpening and honing methods.

Individual forums for just about every carving style there is.

Bear in mind that the place got hacked a couple of years ago and tragically, all pictures were lost.
It's coming back but a bit slow and has been abandoned by many of the really accomplished carvers that used to post.

The British site: Woodworkers Institute.com has good forums but not terribly active.

The Australian site: Woodworkforums.com has a forum for wood carving & Sculpture and another for Sharpening.
The bulk of that site is everything else.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
My advice would be post your questions here. &nbsp;You will be surprised at the depth of knowledge some folk have on here.<br><br>The best way to shape the forum in a direction you desire is to post regular interesting subjects. &nbsp;if you're interested in something chances are a lot of other members will be too. &nbsp;

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
That would be good.

It looks like there are enough members interested in this that it might spark the very discussions we're all looking for.

Should be interesting

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a handful of good woodworking forum websites scattered across several countries.

The only forum site dedicated to carving is run by Wood Carving Illustrated. What a coincidence.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Been trying to find the same thing. Did you have any luck finding anything? Have searched Facebook, but wasn't able to find any

I did come across some spoon carving groups on Facebook which have been pretty informative though most of the information isn't really "new".
That said there are some really talented carvers out here and if nothing else the photos of other peoples work has been inspiring me.

ba3c543d137af3673f9b3c5f5e58a5ef.jpg

575e2aa1c59ff37ad112d6b2d9206022.jpg

I also follow Barn the Spoon on instagram and saw some really interesting posters he is having made up with some simple but deceptively important wood carving information.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE