Anyone use Russian cold weather gear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
The quality of the cotton cloth is not that good in some uniform.
The camo stuff is hard wearing, but takes time to dry out when wet.
Russian kit is like the AK74 it does the job .

Topknot

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Well I finally managed to pick up the coat and trousers.
Here is a mini review and some pics of the gear, bearing in mind I've only worn the jacket out walking the dog etc.

First thing that I noticed is the weight of the gear, its very heavy.
Jacket and liner weighs 3.93kg and the trousers with liner are 2.125kg. this is for the XXL set.
The sizing is on the generous side to say the least, I'm 6'2" and 18 stone, and the jacket swamps me, but I like loose clothing so it suits me fine. I wouldn't like to meet the man who fits this jacket on a dark street though.:eek:
The outer jacket can be worn with or without the woollen liner and is lined itself, it seems to have a water resistant layer as well, as seen by the pic of the hood opening showing a white material, however the visible seams are not taped etc.
The jacket has 6 pockets, 2 on the sleeves, 2 on the chest and 2 at the bottom at the front, the sleeve and chest pockets are fastened with buttons. There is also a draw cord on the bottom hem of the jacket. Also has reinforcing patches on the elbows.

So far in use, I've found it to be very warm (only wore a T shirt under it during the last few days of colder weather), you definitely know your wearing it though due to the weight, but very comfortable.
I'm not a great fan of camo gear, but because it's not the conventional "western" camo I might live with it, I may dye it though.
The construction seems good as well, but time will tell, it's certainly no worse (but considerably cheaper) than my Fjall Raven jacket which is the only bushcraft type jacket I have to compare it to.
I like the simplicity i.e no zips to break, poppers to pull off, metal bits to rattle or flappy external pockets to get hung up.
I've not tried it the wet yet, but I think the usual wax/proofing treatments may be required.

I think this set is more suited to someone who isn't into long distance hiking etc just because of the weight, but if you like to set up camp and mooch about in the woods in colder weather you could do a lot worse, and spend a whole lot more.

Jacket without woollen liner.
2011_1217coldgear0049.jpg

Inner water resistant lining???
2011_1217coldgear0052.jpg

Hood shown out of its stowage position
2011_1217coldgear0051.jpg

Hood stowed, took me a while to realise it even had a hood.
2011_1217coldgear0050.jpg

Woollen liner with real fur collar, and showing elasticated cuffs inside the sleeves.
2011_1217coldgear0054.jpg

The inner and outer are fitted together with buttons and a few tabs of velcro, they fit together very well.
At first I thought the button only fastening of the jacket would allow the wind to blow through the jacket, but I've not found this to happen due to the baffled closure, a nice simple but effective system.
The fur collar works very nicely as well, no need for a scarf with this coat.
2011_1217coldgear0046.jpg

The trousers are a single outer layer, high waisted complete with braces and a woollen inner, again the liner buttons in to the outer layer.
Not much to say about these as I've not really worn them together, but I have been wearing the outer layer on their own around the house an they are very comfortable.
2011_1217coldgear0043.jpg

I will post more as I use it, if your not bored to death already:D
cheers

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Yep, the liner weighs 2.1kg, I would think a normal size would be considerably less though, as this is a very large xxl.
You would need to modify it i.e add buttons and holes, or a zip to wear it on its own though.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
I've been keeping my eye out for Telegroeka jackets over the years. It's more the classic look than anything else that gets me. The old ones made from canvas and wool batting are the best, but mighty hard to get and snapped up by collectors.

Might reproduce my own variation with a hood if I ever manage to get the money for a serger. Much more satifsfying than throwing money at things.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I've been keeping my eye out for Telegroeka jackets over the years. It's more the classic look than anything else that gets me. The old ones made from canvas and wool batting are the best, but mighty hard to get and snapped up by collectors.

Might reproduce my own variation with a hood if I ever manage to get the money for a serger. Much more satifsfying than throwing money at things.

Just did a search and came up with this on E**y http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soviet-Ru...ilitaria_LE&hash=item1e689bf832#ht_3927wt_952

I agree though, it would be more satisfying to make your own.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE