Anyone use an N3B or similar parka?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Afternoon all,

I'll be off back up North to the land of the ice and snow in a few weeks, and am thinking of getting myself a parka to keep warm in, the sort of thing that can be thrown on over a more usual jacket as well as worn on it's own. Now this isn't neccessarily for outdoors, hiking or bushcrafty stuff, more for everyday use really, as even with pullover and jacket on I still tend to freeze! But seeing as there's quite a few people into kit on BCUK I thought I would ask here anyway.

Looking at the various options I came across the N3B, a USAF type parka made by Alpha. This kind of thing:

Alpha-N-3B-Parka.gif

Has anyone used the N3B and if so what are your impressions of it? Ditto for any other similar parkas which are out there which would also be an option for me? I will probably have to mail order it so looking to get some insight before committing myself to something I can't see before I order.

My thoughts thus far:

It's not exactly cheap but as parkas go I guess it's not crazily pricey, and if I get a good few years out of it I'll be happy. I notice the material has a sheeny type of effect to it so hopefully that should help keep out some wet when it's just above freezing (although mostly I anticipate using this thing in the cold cold cold). I'm guessing I will probably need to get an XL or even perhaps an XXL if I want to be able to wear it over bulky winter layers like a pullover and a normal jacket (I usually wear a Large).

Cheers in advance! :)

Beardy

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I'm also not sure how durable it might be - I know it was originally produced for the USAF but Alpha now describe themselves as a 'fashion company' on their own website, so I'm a bit unsure if it will hold up well or if it will be simply a fashion item instead of a dependable winter outer for colder climes.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
For around £20-£30 you can get an M90 Swedish Winter parka - ideally the older version with the permanent hood (ie not folded into tthe collar), but both are good and very warm. And there is also an M90 matching over-trouser set - identical material and quilting - that have full zips down the outside of both legs, so can be removed without touching your boots!

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I can swear by the Swedish M90. It's my everyday winter coat (although mine is the one with the foldaway hood). If you're set on the N3B though and are within reach of Bournemouth, BASE surplus store in Charminster have a genuine one. I'm not sure of the size though. Might be worth giving them a bell.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just type in M90 Swiss Parka in Google or similar - many surplus stores carry them. Also ebay. As for waterproof, no they're not, although no reason why a waterproofer couldn't be used to provide some protection. However, neither is the genuine N3B (and there are an awful lot of poor-quality copies of the N3B out there...)

TFan

Tenderfoot
Nov 3, 2010
Buckinghamshire
I got my M90 from Frontline in Bournemouth. In new condition I'd call it shower-proof, it certainly wouldn't stand up to a downpour. That's why god invented gore-tex.

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
I have the N3B and for normal every day use its great. The nylon outer is very durable, and its perfectly warm enough during the last cold snap. The old vintage ones you find on ebay are much warmer, and heavier duty. I wouldn't buy too big though - it's cut very roomy.

You can nikwax the nylon with really good results too.

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
i have an alpha n3b in dark brown mines an alaskan one, heavyer than the lighter weight nylon more like cordura outer, very warm and heavy. the only problem i have with mine its got to be down below -0 other wise its to warm to wear.

garethw

Settler
I got an N3B military park made by Greenbrier from a store in Paris. I was after the Alpha one in nylon, but when I saw the heavy duty cotton version with a real coyote fur hood I prefered it... it just looked and felt better quality than the Alpha. It is very warm, and quite a heavy coat. My only gripe is it doesn't have any inside pockets for a wallet..
That said I have the Alpha M65 with liner and it is an excellent quality jacket, really built to last.
cheers
Gareth

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Hmmm sounds like most are pro-N3B then! The Swedish M90 sounds very interesting (as does the Greenbrier) but I was thinking of something a little less military/a bit more casual looking than that (if there was a Navy blue version that might work) for day to day use - although I am now sorely tempted to get an M90 for mucking about in the wilds in too! :p

MN, where do you find the Alaskan heavy parka? Apart from in Alaska, of course? :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE