Anyone tried these billy cans ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
they're big, stainless steel and supposedly fit on the army No 2 and No 12 cookers - though I found it a tight squeeze on the No 12.

No real experience of using it in anger though. Rik_uk has used them and posted his opinions ;)

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Got them. Nothing you'd normally put in a backpack, but well in a canoe or pulk.
Tough as nails they are, but the handle for the frying pan is a bit rubbish. Also the pots are stainless, but the wires are galvanised and likely shot, so expect them to be a bit rusty unless you treat them.
Oh, and the attachment points for the bale ar kinda pointy and will scratch up your other kit unless you sort them with a grinder or something.
Best part is you can fit an Optimus 111 inside.
I've chopped all the wirework from mine, and have used trangia-style potgrippers instead. Long term, i might drill a hole for a wire bale.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I've used them on expedition on a No.12 stove. They weren't bad too but the steel is quite thin and with the heat produced by the stove its hard not to incinerate your cooking. Well supported over a fire where you can control the heat better should work fine. Might be a good option for small oven also?

I think the set is designed for 10 men but its a real struggle unless your just heating compo. For real cooking the size would probably suit 6-8. I thought the going rate was about £10 surplus not £30+.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE