Anyone selling bees wax?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I don't have enough available right now - sorry - its cheap enough on e-bay. I would buy it in granule form - easier to handle and weigh out what you want.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Clearly dipping needs much more. 500g would be plenty for painting and pouring, but I reckon maybe 3 kilos for dipping (assuming you can find the right sized pot). Do make sure you use a double boiler - it flashes over (catches fire) easily.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I get mine from thewaxfactory on ebay - good service, and quality /value for money - approx £11-£12 per Kg for English yellow wax pellets.

A one pint tankard will absorb a little under 100g of wax. I've not tried the painting method (looks too much of a faff, unless you're only planning on making one or two tankards), dipping is quick and efficient, but you do need a good quantity of wax. As BR says, you're really looking at a pot to hold a couple of Kg of wax. A 16cm Zebra billy is a nice size and is just big enough to dip a tankard, and sits nicely in an old Prestige pressure cooker base as the double boiler.

Geoff

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
I have 10 or 12 kilos available. PM me with your needs and we can come to an agreement I am sure.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Get down to a farmers market or other local food producers event, look for all the nearby honey sellers and ask them to buy it direct. Most of them already sell it off for other industries and you will find they will sell you far more for your money than any wax seller will.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE