Anyone own the small GB carving axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Send a pm to Martin[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/member.php?u=31507[/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]He's got one and is a big fan. [/FONT]
[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.HelveticaNeueUI]Cheers[/FONT]

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
Hi Stanleythecat,

The link in the message I received seemed to have an error(?), but it's more than likely that I actually pressed the wrong buttons trying to reply to you.

Anyway.... Down to answering your question in a few short words... "The Gransfors Kubben Axe is awesome!"

The weight is right and we'll balanced to do a lot more than carve. I use it for campfire duties too and it completes tasks in comfort. Quality is as expected - excellent. To be honest for its size it fits in a small sack with no problems, ideal to take camping! If I had to chose between my knife and the axe, the axe would be my travel companion as it is so much more versatile.

I would by another Kubben Axe without hesitation (worth every pound I spent on it!), but can't see that happening as I don't intend to loose, break or damage this one :)

IMG_00000038.jpg603388_10151099689718713_840097827_n.jpg

Hopefully the two images upload for you to guage the size against a bic biro and also in my hands whilst on Dartmoor a while back.

I hope this helps Leo? A bit long winded, but I couldn't recommend it highly enough! If I can help with anything else, don't hesitate to leave me a message on here. I'll try to get on a little more frequently again...

Martin :beerchug:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...
attachment.php
..."

That does look nice.

The chaps over at Natural Bushcraft have a video showing one being used to carve a small bowl.

[video=vimeo;10928656]http://vimeo.com/10928656#at=0[/video]

Last edited:

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
Same head different handle length. ;)

As said by Everything Mac.... :) Haven't. Done much carving with it lately. The last use my axe had was last weekend as I hafted some new flint, copper and bronze axes as they required new handles (as part of an on going project). I understand one has been destroyed already! I'll try and upload a photo of the handles if I can find which device I took the photos with!

Martin :)

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
Hope this works... Here are a few of the axe heads re hafted into their new handles. Started with the Kubben then honed with draw knife and carving chisels... :)

flint axe head 1.jpgflint axe held.jpgthree old copper and bronze axes.jpg

Enjoy...

Martin :D

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
So which are we talking about here: the Kubben or the Small Carving axe? Is there any difference between to the two? If so, what and which, as a result, is better for those carving tasks?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE