Anyone made there own tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hi there,

I quite like the idea of not using a tent, instead I'd like to sleep outside with a view! So a tarp for me then. However many tarps that are cheaply available are fairly bulky, even smallish ones , if you use the kind of tarp that you get from B&Q etc. Material that is commonly used to make the likes of hootchies is fairly damn expensive - around £6.00 per meter ( only 130cm wide too ) so I thought about getting other material and waterproofing it with something like Nikwax stuff. Obviously price is a major factor for me, which is why I'm looking at trying to make my own.

I have had a nosey around the net and came across this site here and wonder if there is anything here that is okay or not okay if you know what I mean?

Getting hold of eyelets etc is fairly easy, just the material waterproofing quality I am slightly worried about.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi
I have made my own trap. Look in the gallery under topknot. I have used it in the rain with no leaks. Hope this helps you.
topknot.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The simplest and cheapest tarp I have ever made and used was made from a bed sheet. Use a good quality natural fiber one with a tight weave - high tread count. Add a coating of your favorite waterproofing. Instead of eyelets, use the old Indian Teepee tie method. Take a small round pebble (or marble), place it on the material where you want a loop attached, gather/wrap/pull the material around the pebble and tie the clothe with your cord so that the pebble can't pop out. You can put a tie loop wherever you need one, and change or remove them anytime - without damaging your tarp. You could also tie a knot in the corner of your material, and then tie a cord around the material just above that, but it makes a more bulky loop attachment.

Eyelets tend to rip/tear out under stress, so I personally stay away from them.

Just something to think about.

Mikey - wandering about in the Hinterlands

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'll echo the caution about eyelets being a weak point. I bought some kite/sail material off Evilbay and made a tarp from that - stitched a central seam to make it wider. I used loops and "V's" of webbing to make the tie-out points which I re-inforced by stitching into patches on corners and mid-points.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Thanks guys for your replies. Bed sheeting, eh? Damn good idea! Thank you for pointing out to me what should have been obvious - that any puncture into the cloth would weaken the strength of it, even if it is eyelets.

I have two options as I see it, either get hold of fabric glue and basically stick on loops,which are attached to a large enough base so that any pressure is spread out over a larger area of the fabric, or ask my girlfriend do glue and sew them on, as she is an dab hand at the sewing side of crafts. lol Cheeky I know.

I'll look into the stone method as well and see if it's suitable for me.

If anyone else has any other advice for a lowly newbie, please throw it this way. They say ignorance is bliss, but I prefer to be slightly better informed.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
I'm a bit of a newbie too (and skint!) so I bought an IPK from an online surplus store and stuck eyelets in the relevant places. Now i'm just itching to try it out!

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I have two options as I see it, either get hold of fabric glue and basically stick on loops,which are attached to a large enough base so that any pressure is spread out over a larger area of the fabric, or ask my girlfriend do glue and sew them on, as she is an dab hand at the sewing side of crafts. lol Cheeky I know.

I'd be really really surprised if fabric glue lasted more than 30 seconds. Never mind when wet!

Functional sewing really is very easy. Buy some canvas thread from a sewing shop (it's thick enough that us hamfisted blokes don't keep snapping it) and a suitable needle for the thread. Then just do a looping kind of stich along where you want to sew. Just like if you were doodling a looping line with a pen keep pulling the thread tightish as you go.

If you're sewing near the edge of the fabric fold it over to make a hem and go through the double thickness to stop it fraying.

You might also find this helpful Sewing for Manly Men

Don't be afraid of a bit of sticthing it's so much easier than the nonsense us blokes invent to avoid it!! :D

Scoops

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I'd be really really surprised if fabric glue lasted more than 30 seconds. Never mind when wet!

Functional sewing really is very easy. Buy some canvas thread from a sewing shop (it's thick enough that us hamfisted blokes don't keep snapping it) and a suitable needle for the thread. Then just do a looping kind of stich along where you want to sew. Just like if you were doodling a looping line with a pen keep pulling the thread tightish as you go.

If you're sewing near the edge of the fabric fold it over to make a hem and go through the double thickness to stop it fraying.

Don't be afraid of a bit of sticthing it's so much easier than the nonsense us blokes invent to avoid it!! :D

Scoops

lol Thanks for the tips! Although I have to admit I can sew fairly well, just not as well as my girlfriend. Don't worry I am not totally naive ( at least I hope so :p ) with regards to fabric strengths and the ways to royally stuff them up!. I will do tests before I commit to anything. I know I'll have to be careful and make sure any of the stitching I do isn't going to cause damage when pulled or strained, but I thank you for your concern though, you can never be too careful when doing something for the first time.

leon-1

Scoops

I have snapped one of those rather flimsy stitching awl efforts:rolleyes:

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I know I'll have to be careful and make sure any of the stitching I do isn't going to cause damage when pulled or strained, but I thank you for your concern though, you can never be too careful when doing something for the first time.

Don't let the modern malaise that everything has to be perfect stop you making your own kit though. You always learn so much from first efforts and the mistakes you beat yourself up over in fabrication become little fond memories that add to the satisfaction when the item is in use.

Scoops

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
There is a picture of my tarp in the gallery under my name. I also put a picture of it on scales at 1 pound 10 ounces. Seam seal the stitches. I sortof followed Ray Jardines pattern and instructions.

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
check out the local charity shops or boot fairs I was almost given an old nylon fly sheet from a two man tent great with a bit of adaptation , Dont get those cheap tarps as the rattle and creak in any wind and keep you awake !

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I suppose that bed linen with melted bees wax and then boiled for a few minutes, something posted by Eric a few days back, would leave a good weatherproof tarp. Sew the webbing straps on like those ribbons you see to show awareness for cancer, AIDS, etc. They are very strong and would be a lot more reliable than eyelets.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
What are tarps made of?

I found a discarded dome tent the other day and am wondering what to do with it.

thedude

Mar 2, 2005
Exeter / IOW UK
My tarp is a homemade affair and rather heavy.... it was free though.
If you want a cheap (funny shaped) tarp go to your local sailing club and ask for any old sails they have - if there are competitive people they will change their sails every couple of years, or sooner if very competitive. Get the biggest one you can so you can get a massive tarp. I found my sails in the skip outside my own sailing club and asked at the bar if i could have them and they said help myself.
To make it;
1. Strip out any excess hardware - mine had a wire luff
2. Lay the sail out flat and mark a line parrallel with the foot halfway down the leech (see Google for a diagram of a sail)
3. Cut along that line
4. Double stitch the two leech edges together with a good overlap - notice that they are the same length because you marked them that way
5. Hem any edges you are not happy with and add any extra fixings, loops etc. that you want
6. Put it up
If you have done it right you will end up with a baggy funny shaped tarp, but remember it only cost about £2 for the waxed heavy cotton thread for sewing it together and the webbing for the loops.
If you want a square/rectangle tarp you could just cut the sails up and use the material and do it properly, but then again mine took 30 mins to make and works fine. You could also use dinghy sails if you want it lighter, or if very keen get a spinnaker (for ultralight) and cut that up - this is my plan for when I get back to the Isle of Wight in a fortnight.
I could probably take some photos tomorrow night of my current tarp if someone wants something more detailed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE