anyone made spruce or fir infused 'christmas tree' vodka?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've made pine, and it wasn't very pleasant; decidedly turpentine-ish. Ended up using it to clean grease off pine shelving....took it off no bother at all and left a lovely smell :)
Kind of surprising that it was so bad because if you take pine buds, and cover them with sugar, you'll end up with pine honey, which is a sore throat elixer and is quite tasty.

cheers,
Toddy

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I haven’t tried spruce / pine, but if you want something festive, you can soak “Christmas” spices in the vodka

Cinnamon quill (x2), allspice (teaspoon), clove (x1) and honey (I’m not a sweet fan, so just a spoon. It gives “body” as well as flavour)
Any other spices you like.

You’ll end up with a lovely golden liquor after about two or three weeks. Strain it and drink !
Adjust the spices and honey after a week or so (add a little more if you like, or remove something).

Don’t soak it too long or it can become a little bitter (the remedy to that is to drink a little more so you don’t mind anymore) !

One thing I’ve tried is soaking a piece of fruit cake – the vodka will extract the flavours – very nice result.

... I must kick off a batch myself.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've made pine, and it wasn't very pleasant; decidedly turpentine-ish. Ended up using it to clean grease off pine shelving....took it off no bother at all and left a lovely smell :)
Kind of surprising that it was so bad because if you take pine buds, and cover them with sugar, you'll end up with pine honey, which is a sore throat elixer and is quite tasty.

cheers,
Toddy

Ta for the pine buds tip, Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE