Anyone know anything about 4x4s.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I saw a programme about this guy who traveled through south america's jungles in a Series 3 landy, he got into trouble when he slid off the road and put a hole in the sump and damaged a couple of steering bits, he was panicking like mad when a native guy walked up and told him he had one he could have bits off! :shock: , arriving at this guys shack the guy finds this old nackered S111 this old guy keeps his chickens in, a few dollars and a few hours later and the intrepid explorer is off on his travels again! now theres only one motor your going to get bits for where ever you are in the world and thats a Landy! :naughty:

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
CLEM said:
What do you blokes think of the the Shogun and Pajero imports ect.Any advice would be most appreciated.Thanks.

I have just been through this dilemma myself. The Pajero are definitely a better spec than the UK version (Shogun) and tend to have been better maintained and with lower mileage. This then in turn keeps the price high eg a K plate could be upto £5K for a LWB 2500/2800. Dealers around here sell them for £7K for an L plate - a lot of money for the year. Insurance can be a problem, my current insurers did not want to know so you will need to hunt around (they are classified as `grey import` because they weren't imported by car manufacturers, but by independent dealers and sometimes even by private buyers). Parts are not as hard to come by as you might think and they do appear to be reliable (as Jap made) but they will not be as cheap as Land Rover parts etc.

There are a couple of owners club on the web
http://www.pocuk.com/
http://www.pajerouk.co.uk/

and this site will import it for you and therefore cut out the middle man - I did look into this but bottled out
http://www.algysautos.com/

Anyhow, in the end I bought Land Rover Disco 300TDi, it was too good an offer and a prof mechanic mate is handy with this particular vehicle which will keep my servicing/maintenance costs down. Had it since Monday and the drive to work seems to be a most pleasurable experience :p

I do like the look of the new shape Paj but way over my limit cost wise.

Elliott

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
We have had a suzuki vitara for three years now. I have had 3 landy's in the past, series II's and a county etc.
What a delight it is not to have a permanent hobby that involves lying on cold concrete, getting covered in oil, scavenging parts from dead vehicles and then having to ride in something that looks like a mobile meccano kit that shakes your back to bits, guzzles fuel and needs a boy racer sound system to listen to even the news, let alone music (forget about CD's, Lucky if a cassette will track in one!).
We now travel in comfort and warmth and the vehicle has been totally reliable. It also does all I (or most normal people) would require of an off- roader and the missus loves it so much that I get dumped in the runaround most of the time.
The greatest benefit is that all the time I wasted tinkering with a landrover now can be spent doing things I enjoy (no, dont ask!).
If there is a downside, it is that the suzi looks trendy and is more likely to get a tug by the taliban than a landy as the old bill seem to regard land rover drivers as boring white english farmers who maintain their vehicles and wouldnt dream of offending against their interpretation of law and morals.

If ya want a landy for less than 5K you'll be looking at something like this..
116_1698_IMG.sized.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Now this is the Landy I fell in love with while watching Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom as a kid!!!! :You_Rock_

I even had an old Suzuki samurai that started looking like that,,,,,,,,until it was stolen :cry:

Now I have a 91 ford Explorer. But I looks more like a station wagon with a thyroid condition than an off roader , even with 4WD.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
What it depends on if you ask me, is what you're going to use it for. If you want an off roader that will also work as a general use car, there is no competition: a Defender, whether 90 or 110 is up to you - £5k upwards
If you want an occasional off roader that's a good family car, and you have a fair bit of money, you can get a Discovery for £10k upwards
If you want a road car that will not mind the odd rough track and are on a seriously limited budget, then get something Japanese.
The mistake I think many people make is over-estimating the amount of off-roading they do. If you're going to compete in the Paris-Dakar, then sure, get a Defender. If you're an average outdoorsy bloke who at most goes down some very rough tracks, then you might as well get a Land Cruiser or something. I love Defenders, more than I love my girlfriend (damn, did I say that out loud?), but a lot of people who buy them could do better with something more road-orientated, as they are off road vehicles - off road meaning most of your driving is off road.
At the end of the day what would suit most people is something like a Discovery, that can take most of what you might throw at it but is a very good family car too. And if you're on a limited budget maybe something Japanese. There's one big downside: you'll look like one of those shopping mums trying to look big with bull bars and a 3l diesel

:soapbox:

[/rant]

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks for the replys,info and advice chaps its very much appreciated.I will be doing most of my driving on road with a few rough tracks now and again iam not intending on doing pari Dakar type of thing but allso i will be doing a few long road trips countrywide over the summer.I do really like the Defender 90 but looking at the auto trader ect a really nice one is above my budget.What ever i get has to be both comfortable and reliable and not cost me loads either.Sadley it seems to me that i will have to buy a Jap mota of one kind or another.

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Wish they sold those Mitso vans over here. :cry: Rover people are like Harley people. All or nothing. That's cool, but not for me. I saw a cool older model a few years ago with a Caddy engine and few other cool mods.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Whatever flavour you go for do please bear in mind that ANY 4x4 requires more maintenance than a regular car. It can be quite a culture shock for people used to running euroboxes.

Dave

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Thanks for all the advise gentlemen,ive not made up my mind as to what to get yet but soon as i have done and bought a new vehicle i will let you know,hopefully it will not be too long.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Squidders mate,if my budget was permitting i would do,there a mean tool the Wildcat aint they.Very very cool 4x4.The ultimate.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I'd love one... not because I want to do any real off roading but I like the idea of beating sports cars in a 4x4.

I like my cars comfy and low to the ground, If I want to do any off roading i'll ride my horse :wink:

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Tell you a car i always liked Squidders,a car that would waste most things on the road.It was was the Volvo T5,very fast powerful mota and practical too,it was a continent crosser,a load lugger,a sports car all rolled into one,everything you could need in a mota i guess,the T5R even more so.Great motas those.Just cost too much for the likes of me.Why is it anything you want is invariably too much for us to afford. :cry: :eek:):

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Because if we had enough, we'd have the things we want and not want them any more...

I'll stick to my car... I nearly got a Volvo V70 though when I was looking.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Squidders said:
I'd love one... not because I want to do any real off roading but I like the idea of beating sports cars in a 4x4.

With our Delica we really delight in pulling up next to range rovers and looking down on them.... (they REALLY don't like anything on the road taller than them). The only problem is though at 8+ feet tall there aren't many carparks you can get in round here as the barriers are set at 6 feet 6 ins. and they always give you a funny look at the rubbish tip when you drive onto the weighbridge on the commercial side :lol:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I have had a Vitara (LWB 2ltr V6) for 2 years now, great "mota"< it won't do all the stuff that a 90 Defender will do, but it does the stuff you do 95% of the time very well and very comfortably, in an emergency - a flood, a mud-bound lane, black-ice, BOAT's, it performs very well and compared to a landy is quite economic, reliability is superb.
Not the biggest, hardest or best looking, but reliable, economical and from my former days in the kingdom of survivalists - the one your are most likely to have with you when TEOTWAWKI strikes.
Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE