Anyone know anybody who has eaten the wrong mushroom ever?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
A bit of a random question I know. I have been contacted by the BBC who are making a program about commercial fungi foraging and also the dangers of mushroom foraging. They are, among other things, looking for a case study of somebody who got poisoned by eating a mis-identified mushroom. Does anybody know anyone?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What about those fungi that have both good and bad said about them ?
False chanterelle for instance. I've eaten it often and been absolutely fine, yet the BBC website said last week that it was deadly :rolleyes:

Actually, come to think on it; I mind ranting about that article last week; it was a load of total mince, and I wanted to tell them to get hold of an expert and not publish a load of rot written by a half baked wannabe journalist who trawled the net in his/her teabreak.

Best of luck with it Geoff :)

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I know a guy who did yeah. Can't see him wanting to make a public spectacle of himself though unless they plan on paying very large fees.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
What about those fungi that have both good and bad said about them ?
False chanterelle for instance. I've eaten it often and been absolutely fine, yet the BBC website said last week that it was deadly :rolleyes:

Did it really? There's a lot of ignorance out there. I also saw an article recently about people collecting magic mushrooms in the UK, accompanied by a picture of a cultivated north American Psilocybe species.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
The chap who wrote 'The Horse Whisperer' did whilst on holiday in the NE of Scotland. Here's an article about it: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/nov/13/filmadaptations

I listen to a radio program about it a while back, by all accounts he was lucky to survive and thanks his lucky stars that all the kids turned thier noses up at the mushrooms they collected. IIRC they collected Deadly Webcaps with an assumtion that they were safe to eat. I recalled the story as it happen only a few miles away from where I used to live.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
You beat me to it Dave, guess he was one of the few willing to bear his soul:)

:) I just wouldnt bother with them, as they have no nutritional value, and the downside is potentially fatal.
And has been said, if leading expert ethnobotanists like Gordon hillman can get it wrong anyone can.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
IIRC they collected Deadly Webcaps with an assumtion that they were safe to eat.

It isn't known exactly which Cortinarius species they picked. The bizarre thing about that case is that he thought he was picking a penny bun. Quite frankly, if you can get a bolete mixed up with a Cortinarius, then you can get anything mixed up with anything.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Long ago ate Ps.Azurescens thinking they were Ps.Cyanescens but i don't think that enlightening experience is of any use to to the BBC

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE