Anyone here watch Survivorman

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
As a Canadian, and a new member, I was just wondering if anyone from the UK has had the chance to see Les Strouds TV show Survivorman. He is a kind of a Canadian version of Ray Mears( don't get me wrong Ray is the man ). However, unlike Ray he actually gets droped off and left alone for a week somewhere in the world. He has no crew, (he filmes it all himself) and almost no kit. Great fun to watch, and many times you will ask yourself "What the heck is this guy thinking" and " No don't do that" but its pretty good stuff.

He also spent a year living in northern Canada with no modern convenience. Making shelter from a stone axe and living off the land.

Here is a link to his sites
http://www.survivorman.ca/
http://www.lesstroudonline.com/

scaleyback

Sep 30, 2006
sheffield
yes, and its good, lots of relevent info, in a very realistic format, at the risk of being publicly burched and burned at the stake, i have to say i dont rate ray mears, maybe its bad editing but i find ray mears very confusing, he makes it look like you can pic up stuff in 5 mins he has been practicing and perfecting for over 20 years, a bit dangerous i think, where as surviver man has the skills and puts them in a easy to understand way, his fire doesnt light first time, some times he has to give up and try another way, and he is always cold and wet, just like you are when you need bushcraft to help you live .long live les, lol

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I do agree that Ray seems to be a bit too perfect!! I would like to see the out takes!! Les on the other hand has the odd moment when it looks like it will all go pear shaped, and I think I find this more believable.

It's just like Michel Blomberg when he drops his piece of flint and it could all go so horribly wrong for him, but he pulls it back from the brink and makes it work. You see the guy getting truly tested, and you sort of feel his despair as he thinks "Oh crap, I've left my bit of flint at home. Now I'm screwed!!!" In true bushcraft fashion, he overcomes his dilemma and makes himself comfortable in his eviornment by using what it has to offer. :You_Rock_

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
I'm in the US and I have seen bits and pieces of his show. But, after watching him run in the dark throught unfamiliar territory because he thought he heard a bear, I sorta lost my interest in the show. :confused: I guess next time its on I'll have to watch a little more.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Saw all the shows and bought the DVD. I really like Les and admire his persistance and abilities. I have had a few short email conversations with him and really enjoyed his candor and willingness to listen to opinions.
Great show, I hope they do some more soon!

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
I watched Survivorman regularly. I liked it because it was a guy with skills and a pocket full of the regular stuff people who get lost or break down or whatever usually have; A couple of candies, maybe a few matches, and his leatherman.

The only complaint I really had was that he couldn't really replicate a survival situation because of the burden of filming. He has to set up cameras for shots, do his takes and still make do with what he's got. He has said that some of the things he has done for the camera aren't a good idea, but were best for TV. Camping too close to a glacial river was one that comes to mind.

Mears (and others, of course) show off the skills and techniques in safe situations, whereas Stroud gives a glimpse of what real survival might be like.

Oct 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Thanks guys glad to see so many people have seen it. And yes the Camping too close to a glacial river was one of the things I was thinks of as well. Not the best idea but i guess it made for good TV.

I agree, its nice to see the skills in a real situation, like after a few days in the freezing cold or drifting in the sea. I also like the emotion he shows even though he knows he is going home in a few days. Great bunch of shows.

As for getting the DVD in the UK I am not sure. I think his website is the place to find out if they have one for the UK region.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
madrussian said:
I'm in the US and I have seen bits and pieces of his show. But, after watching him run in the dark throught unfamiliar territory because he thought he heard a bear, I sorta lost my interest in the show. :confused: I guess next time its on I'll have to watch a little more.

That was Bear Grylls not Les Stroud!

I think Les is the real deal, I like the way he is honest about the kit that he does take with him which he believes are his essentials. There isn't any sensationalism he just shows how arduous a survival situation can get without any of the Bravardo of Bear Grylls.

I really like Survivorman its a good representation of what you can and cannot do in certain situations, and the hardships that you can endure to a certain extent.
You can watch at least one of the episodes on his website, and Survivorman 2 is coming out soon.

David Morgan

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2004
Buckinghamshire
Mr Stroud's programmes sound like good stuff, hopefully they'll be on freeview sometime... however, I feel I must defend Mr Mears. Sorry, that's Our High Lord and Master Saint Ray :rolleyes: His past couple of series have not been about survival but about the history and practice of wilderness living. Extreme Survival on the other hand combined Ray's skills and presentation with real tales of survival, very often told by the survivors themself, which to my mind is better than any 'simulation'. One of my favourites is the ocean survival episode, inspiring stuff and a testament to being prepared.

Right, now I'm of to burn some heritics who think Woodlore's stuff is overpriced :D

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
David Morgan said:
Mr Stroud's programmes sound like good stuff, hopefully they'll be on freeview sometime... however, I feel I must defend Mr Mears. Sorry, that's Our High Lord and Master Saint Ray :rolleyes: His past couple of series have not been about survival but about the history and practice of wilderness living. Extreme Survival on the other hand combined Ray's skills and presentation with real tales of survival, very often told by the survivors themself, which to my mind is better than any 'simulation'. One of my favourites is the ocean survival episode, inspiring stuff and a testament to being prepared.

Right, now I'm of to burn some heritics who think Woodlore's stuff is overpriced :D

If you liked the ocean survival episode you will like Les Strouds programs. In one he deals with this subject and actually puts himself in a lifeboat on the open water for a few days and nights just to get the point across about the harshness of that type of situation with nothing but the basics.

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
Hi,

I generally get a kick out of the Survivorman shows, and must admit he has much more courage and skill than I have to put himself in such situations alone.

My one main concern is that a primary premise of many of the shows is to "go somewhere" (ie. meet his pick-up crew at a destination), while it may be better to stay put. The Costa Rica episode comes to mind, where he is stranded on the coast, in a nice spot near fresh water and with a pretty good shelter, and decides to trek into the jungle. If I recall correctly, he then is delighted to find running water, as he can follow it to the shore (full circle).

I realize it would be boring to simply have him stay in one place (they'd have to rename the show "Camping Man"), but it would perhaps be good to point out the situations where others might do things differently.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE