Anyone here watch Survivorman

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I love that he managed to make fire in that last one. He basically had to invent it.
He should have practised it at home though.

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Where you looking my fellow bushcrafter, try HMV, Ebay, Amazon, W H Smiths, all uk places!!!!
Definitely worth buying!
Happy shopping

RM

yes, and its good, lots of relevent info, in a very realistic format, at the risk of being publicly burched and burned at the stake, i have to say i dont rate ray mears, maybe its bad editing but i find ray mears very confusing, he makes it look like you can pic up stuff in 5 mins he has been practicing and perfecting for over 20 years, a bit dangerous i think, where as surviver man has the skills and puts them in a easy to understand way, his fire doesnt light first time, some times he has to give up and try another way, and he is always cold and wet, just like you are when you need bushcraft to help you live .long live les, lol

I think that Ray being more Bushcraft orientated is prepared for a Bushcraft scenario (making life comfortable as you live in the bush )not a Survival one as Les does.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Iv seen some survivor man, what I like about him is he is not ashamed to show when he has fail at stuff like fire or trapping, infact it's an eye opener of how hard things can be to do when you need it the most, I prefer to watch his shows over bear grylls as its more realistic, as for ray mears his shows are more informative, his series are of different topics survival and bushcraft to nature observation and history.
I would say that les is theUS version of bear.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Iv seen some survivor man, what I like about him is he is not ashamed to show when he has fail at stuff like fire or trapping, infact it's an eye opener of how hard things can be to do when you need it the most, I prefer to watch his shows over bear grylls as its more realistic, as for ray mears his shows are more informative, his series are of different topics survival and bushcraft to nature observation and history.
I would say that les is theUS version of bear.

:lmao:Les Stroud is a Canadian you could have been onto that by now!

Last edited:
I much prefer to watch Les instead of Ray as these days Ray does not show very much if any Bushcraft skills - it is all about native peoples or historical figures plus half the kit he has with him has been trekked in by his crew (cast iron pans for making sorrel tarts.... you know he never carried those in!!!)

One minor gripe about Les though is the over dramatisation on the voice overs, but as previously mentioned - he has to make it look good for TV.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Yeah I've watched all the survivor shows I can on YOUTUBE, I like both Les & the show. Don't expect to learn much though 'cause although he has some experience & know-how, he seems to me just an ordinary bloke without the super powers of Ray, Bears & the rest & simply holds out for the 7 days being cold, hungry & often thoroughly miserable just as most of us would do in similar circumstances. I also can't help smiling when he spends large amounts of energy & time fabricating hunting tools or traps that never work....:D
He can sing too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ray stopped making 'bushcraft' programmes a while ago, he's done it; how many video's do you need of friction fire lighting or rigging a tarp?

I like Survivorman although the latest he did in Norway was not up to par IMO, he'd retired but I suspect an expensive divorce forced him back in front of the camera and it showed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE