Anyone got Ladybirds?

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Anyone? I've got a lot of Ladybirds nestling in the crooks and crannies of my curtains. They're all huddled up and not doing much. Just the other day they were all over my balcony and outside walls. Zillions of em. Can't just me me surely.

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
I get them every year. They're hibernating. The problem with modern heating is that they wake up too early, can't find food & die. I feed them on a sugar solution with mashed up raisins, and this seems to help. Internet people have painted designs on walls with sugar, which are then occupied by ladybirds !

I get them every year. They're hibernating. The problem with modern heating is that they wake up too early, can't find food & die. I feed them on a sugar solution with mashed up raisins, and this seems to help. Internet people have painted designs on walls with sugar, which are then occupied by ladybirds !

Do you feed them processed sugar? I would never have thought to ask about the type of sugar if it wasn't for the recent discussion about bees.

Thanks,

- Woodsorrel

wheelnut

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2012
UK
none in the house, but a couple of weeks ago was on a short hike and noticed hundreds on a wooden fence but they weren't very active

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
Do you feed them processed sugar? I would never have thought to ask about the type of sugar if it wasn't for the recent discussion about bees.

Thanks,

- Woodsorrel

Yes, which was the correct answer for the bees !
They also like dried cranberrys mashed up with a bit of water.
Some kind of mark/scent is left behind, as they return to the same corners every year.

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
if you bleach the area where they are returning to... it stops them coming back. Soap and water should work too but adding a just a cap of beach to the water seems to work best.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Handy to know about the bleach tip.

We get them twice a year at work - once on hibernation and once on awakening. the problem is it's 100s of the things and it goes on for a while. In a hotel it's not the best so usually other staff hoover them up!! I try to just open a window but not always practical.

If they can be directed to move on it would be handy.

amazing how many of them there are each year really.

Sep 11, 2014
Maidstone, KENT
Mine live in the corners.
The marks on the wall were left by the last batch, maybe a scent thing ?
I'm sure someone will tell me they're an invasive species, but so are we....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE