Anyone good on their seaweed ID?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Some pics and vids I took last week on the beach, can anyone help please with the ID of each?
Cheers
Bill
cefae05ed87409af4a3e599e900155f8.jpg

bc39a3194958c39886244e968b783fa5.jpg

3ec6195ae5e11d8a95f85c2774a6c3d1.jpg

2ad031d01697801495eda65122f004fd.jpg

First two pics are the same seaweed,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brynglas

I agee with redneck, top one is a Laminaria, either digitata (Oarweed) or hyperborea (Forest Kelp), the second one is Sugar Kelp, now known as Saccharina latissima and the third is Serrated wrack.
All edible, the top two are particularly good to eat.

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Wow, great, thanks very much for the ID all, I'll start checking out how one would process them for eating now, 👍 thanks again
Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brynglas

Lots of options, a good wash and steam/ stir fry is my preference with most seaweeds. Or dry and grind for use as a seasoning/ condiment.
Have a look at Fiona Bird's books for inspiration, she has some great seaweed recipes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The stems of the first one used to be chewed by kids just like they would a stalk of rhubarb :) It gets sweeter somehow the longer you chew it. I didn't know the Latin names for them, but Brynglas' posts naming them properly gives a hint to the sweetness :)
It's not sugary sugary sweetness, it's just a not bitter, not sour, not unpleasant stuff. Satisfying though when your teeth itch. I think the last time I chewed it my second back teeth were coming in, and that was most certainly not yesterday :)

I can imagine how folks would react now to kids wandering around chewing stalks of seaweed though; it'd be comments about it being dirty, and you don't know where that's been, just like the rain!

As far as I know, and it'd be good to have it confirmed, there are no poisonous seaweeds growing around our coasts….provided the water isn't polluted.
Not a lot of calories, but they're handy as gelling and firming agents, add an unami type seasoning, and can be very palatable cooked too.

M

Brynglas

No toxic seaweeds that I know of in the UK, some more palatable and digestible than others though. Some are a fantastic vegetable in their own right. I grew up in West Wales so Laver (Nori in Japan) was a regular. I spend a lot of time in the West of Scotland and regularly collect seaweed to add to meals. This week's favourite was Velvet Horn, very nutritious and tasty.
There are some very good foraging and recipe books out there. Fiona Bird is very good on the subject.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Useful link. I also was under the impression there were no toxic seaweeds around the uk. Thanks for the info.
i really like sea lettuce, dr toasted on the top of the wood burner, its delicious and is great dried and flaked and added to flat breads.
Pepper dulce is tasty to.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been reading.

"All Desmarestia species have a very acid cell sap and will spoil other seaweeds
if collected in the same bag " is the only really negative comment that I can find about it. It seems to be a protective thing agin grazing among the kelp forest type environments.

Not common here, but worth minding, iimmc ?

Nice, plain and clear read about the seaweeds, their zones and habitats, etc., here..

http://fsj.field-studies-council.org/media/2775233/vol51_125a.pdf

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE