Anyone ever made a staff out of willow?

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I know it is fine for cricket bats and all that, but can you make a decent hiking staff out of it? I have been doing a bit of pruning today and have a nice seven foot branch which might do if it does not bend too much as it dries out.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I made a 50lb draw weight bow from willow recently.
Does help to use the right type of wilow.

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
I'm not sure what type I have but the willow along my stretch of river isn't very good at all for sticks. It goes very brittle very quick. I've tried all sorts of seasoning tricks for it but its not very good once its drieds out. It becomes too light, it doesn't seem to be very dense and breaks. I guess you'll need to makes ure its the correct variety before you start. On an other note it makes great canes for my climbing beans.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I'm not sure what type I have but the willow along my stretch of river isn't very good at all for sticks. It goes very brittle very quick. I've tried all sorts of seasoning tricks for it but its not very good once its drieds out. It becomes too light, it doesn't seem to be very dense and breaks. I guess you'll need to makes ure its the correct variety before you start. On an other note it makes great canes for my climbing beans.

That sounds like crack willow, which does exactly what it says on the tin. Try using goat willow instead.

allrightscud

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2013
Central Belt, Scotland
That sounds like crack willow, which does exactly what it says on the tin. Try using goat willow instead.

Just tried what was along my river banking. I've loads of hazel so just use that now. Need to see if I can positivly identify the willow. I was going to plant some stick cuttings this year for fire wood harvesting. Not sure if it'll be any good for that.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Cricket bats are made from a very specific willow species (Cricket bat willow??) The ones that are found along river banks are almost always crack willow AKA Salix fragilis which are as the name suggests, fragile. Goat willow is OK although still not particuarly dense.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
i foraged a piece of willow a few weeks ago thinking it would make a nice stick a week later i threw it away it was crack willow must try again regards dave

Cable tie it to a metal rod or bar untill it dries out then it will stay straight.

I've heard people saying things like this before, but in my experience it doesn't work. As the stick dries it shrinks very slightly and the cable ties or string or wire become loose, and the stick no longer remains straight against the bar, also it can leave unsightly grooves in the wood if tightened too tight first off..
The proper way to do it is just let it dry naturally then steam the bends till they are hot and straighten the stick by bending it over your knee, I must have done over 100 sticks this way over my years..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE