Anyone else sharpened up a Mora 164 crook knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
As I posted in my other thread, I bought a 164 after Christmas. I gather from a quick search that some of these come sharp from the factory, but a lot don't (or so it would seem), and mine firmly fits in the latter category! When I received it, it was a curvy butter spreader... :p

So far, I'm just about sick of the sight of the thing, after spending much of yesterday and today with it. I don't intend to give up on it, but I have yet to get it remotely sharp, and somewhat wish I'd waited and bought a slightly more expensive Ben Orford... I'm using his sharpening stick method, with some 240, 400 and 600 wet n dry, and a fine metal file (which may or may not have been a good idea).

Anyone else done this?

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I've sharpened up a bunch of these, you need to grind down the back a bit and make it a nice curve. IE sharpen on the outside not inside curve. Takes about a half hour or so. I can do it for you if you want?

SimonMast

Tenderfoot
Dec 12, 2011
Hertfordshire
That would be really good of you; I'll take you up on that if you don't mind doing it... I'm not sure I fancy my own chances!

(And hope I haven't ruined the poor thing with my handiwork)

Would you want anything for your trouble? I will of course pay postage.

James

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
As I posted in my other thread, I bought a 164 after Christmas. I gather from a quick search that some of these come sharp from the factory, but a lot don't (or so it would seem), and mine firmly fits in the latter category! When I received it, it was a curvy butter spreader... :p

So far, I'm just about sick of the sight of the thing, after spending much of yesterday and today with it. I don't intend to give up on it, but I have yet to get it remotely sharp, and somewhat wish I'd waited and bought a slightly more expensive Ben Orford... I'm using his sharpening stick method, with some 240, 400 and 600 wet n dry, and a fine metal file (which may or may not have been a good idea).

Anyone else done this?

If I received a blunt knife it would go back as defectve and I would expect to be reimbursed my postage. I don't care what make or the cost.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE