Anyone else have an obsession with Nite Glowrings?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Firstly, I have no affiliation etc with Nite or its retailers. Ive tried loads of other glow key rings etc but WOW, they don't have a patch on these- glow for 10 years, need no light to recharge and waterproof to 30m- whats not to like?

Ive got them on keys etc and they are great for finding them in the dark. Anyone else using these and if so what for?

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
Most of my unit have them, I've got one on the left straps of my webbing, daysack and on the back of my helmet, (that one tucks away after I put it on). They're good things, I've got a mate who puts a red one on his fuel bottle and a blue one on his water bottle (They feel pretty much the same at night). They are well worth using.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Had one on my bergen for years, infact; I'm on my 2nd one. :)

front2d.jpg

Last edited:

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Always went for blue ones, handy for door keys, be it shed garage bike lock and of course the front door. Daysack and bergen, have them too.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Think i might go ahead and buy some of these this evening. How many do you think i shpuld start with. There wuitte pricey but i reckon 20 years usage for 9 quid isnt bad.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
One is a good starter, found the blue ones to be the brightest (can even see it glow on my keys through my deuter bag!)
I just like the fact they need no light-even if they are radioactive ;)

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Have to agree the tritium ones are the best! Granted they only glow but I was surprised how well they do, I generally attach a karabiner so I can add them to different stuff ;)

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I've always been a bit suspicious of carrying a highly toxic radioactive source around with me, no matter how small the quantities.

Someone once harvested tritium from gunsights in an attempt to build his own breeding reactor. All he got for his troubles was a nasty dose of radiation sickness.....

Last edited:

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I've always been a bit suspicious of carrying a highly toxic radioactive source around with me, no matter how small the quantities.

Someone once harvested tritium from gunsights in an attempt to build his own breeding reaction. All he got for his troubles was a nasty dose of radiation sickness.....

But think of the superpowers scan.gif

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Stolen from candlepower forum but useful info..............

'It's actually a glass tube that's suspended within another plastic tube that has epoxy applied to the ends to act as a shock absorber. It'd require some pretty serious abuse before it broke.

Should it break: The actual radioactive component in the vial is an isotope of hydrogen, which is much lighter than air; the tiny amount gas would immediately disperse and float away. Even if you were standing directly over a freshly broken vial, odds are the gas would be too dispersed for even a single molecule to reach your breathing space. If the vial were in your hand or pocket - again, it's a radioactive gas and not solid or fluid, it would simply float off and away, no more glow from your vial.

Worst case scenario: You break the vial on a table/desk, then IMMEDIATELY cup your hands around the vial and place your face directly over it and inhale deeply. If this were to happen, you'd receive as much radiation as ...a dental x-ray.

That's the beauty of the tritium vial design, rather than relying on the radioactive substance itself to glow, it uses a strong phosphor that glows brightly with very little energy, so you can use a remarkably weak source of radioactivity to produce a glow. The beta radiation that comes off of a tritium vial cannot penetrate tissue paper, and can only make it about a quarter inch from the vial in open air before dissipating. It's so weak that even if you were to set a Geiger Counter on its most sensitive setting, then press the probe directly onto the vial, it would not register a reading at all.'

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Stolen from candlepower forum but useful info..............

'It's actually a glass tube that's suspended within another plastic tube that has epoxy applied to the ends to act as a shock absorber. It'd require some pretty serious abuse before it broke.

Should it break: The actual radioactive component in the vial is an isotope of hydrogen, which is much lighter than air; the tiny amount gas would immediately disperse and float away. Even if you were standing directly over a freshly broken vial, odds are the gas would be too dispersed for even a single molecule to reach your breathing space. If the vial were in your hand or pocket - again, it's a radioactive gas and not solid or fluid, it would simply float off and away, no more glow from your vial.

Worst case scenario: You break the vial on a table/desk, then IMMEDIATELY cup your hands around the vial and place your face directly over it and inhale deeply. If this were to happen, you'd receive as much radiation as ...a dental x-ray.

That's the beauty of the tritium vial design, rather than relying on the radioactive substance itself to glow, it uses a strong phosphor that glows brightly with very little energy, so you can use a remarkably weak source of radioactivity to produce a glow. The beta radiation that comes off of a tritium vial cannot penetrate tissue paper, and can only make it about a quarter inch from the vial in open air before dissipating. It's so weak that even if you were to set a Geiger Counter on its most sensitive setting, then press the probe directly onto the vial, it would not register a reading at all.'

I did wonder about that, very interesting :) I think the glass in mine has a crack in it but its still glowing so who knows! They are tough plastic if anyone is concerned, infact mines been dropped and chipped but still works.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE