Ankles? Medical advice please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I was attacked recently, both front teeth snapped in half, they are replacing them on jan 12. I must have a strong noggin, as no skull fracture. No jaw fracture. But my skull, bone is bruised, and not going down well. My pupil in my right eye is permanantly bigger than my left. It was closed fully for two weeks. Odd really, but no damage to ribs etc. I have no real memory of the event, but I was found by the roadside by an ambulance at 6:35am! God knows how long I had been there. Cash card stolen. [I was pretty drunk. :(] I think I was hit by a bat across the face. Cash card stolen. Knife cuts on my shirt. Like slashing cuts. And a very small stab wound in my back.
I woke up in hospital, and was floating in and out of conciousness for three days. They did CT scans on my head, spine, x rays on my ankle. Nothing broken. [I cant remember any of that]

The thing that worries me is my ankles. On both feet where they join the foot, underneath the ankle bone, it hurts. Im hobbling about, and when i turn my feet inwards it is painful. Ive strapped them both up, and have a doctors appointment on dec 28th.
[I wonder if they ran over them.]

I think I was mugged in a dark part of town, by a group of big lads in a car, my size and age maybe, whilst walking up toward a taxi rank. No police involvement. I think a passer by rang an ambulance? Nothing suspicious, I have no enemies etc. Just a bunch of crazy ******** by the look of it. I can vaguely remember a smiling face putting the boot into my eye.

Ive been using feldene gel on them, [we have that in the house]

Can anyone with medical experience offer any solutions please, it would be most appreciated. Thankyou. What else will help? Paracetamol? Co-codamol?

Im using these at the moment. Which help a bit. Im most concerned about my ankles, as I need to be able to walk properly......4 weeks before I go to Sweden.

51piQHv3fyL._SY300_.jpg

What did the Dr say?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hey. He said that my ankle is an inversion injury. Common when you are knocked unconcious. New doctor. He knew exactly where the pain was, before i told him, by showing me with his own foot. He's new to the practice from south Africa, and he says he's seen a lot of those types of facial injuries. He called them racoon eyes.
He said from the injuries, he would have thought i had a skull fracture, sometimes spinal fluid leaks from your ears and nose. And being left unconcious for that long outside I could have died.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
No. But he said I must. I'll have to do some detective work first like asking where the ambulance found me. He said a blow to the head often leads to amnesia.

Brynglas

Try and make sure you point them to your hospital admission and your note, that will back your account up. If there was anyone you were with beforehand then let the police know. You may be sketchy on details but there will be information out there to support your account.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A crime has been committed, you really must report it. I know the police deal with assaults like this all the time, but they have a duty to investigate it.

I'm glad nothing is broken, it sounds like you must have hit the deck and twisted both ankles inward. Some Physio might be helpful, though if your part of the country is like ours you'll have a wait. Maybe fork out for a couple of private sessions and learn what you need to do in terms of exercises.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Dave, I am happy for you that you found a good Dr.
Racoon eyes happjen when a small blood vessel on top of nose bridge, high up, is hit and bursts.
Had a few of those in my young days!

If the Police do the job properly, they will look through the CCTv in that area, but I have a feeling they will not.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Dave, I am happy for you that you found a good Dr.
Racoon eyes happjen when a small blood vessel on top of nose bridge, high up, is hit and bursts.
Had a few of those in my young days!

If the Police do the job properly, they will look through the CCTv in that area, but I have a feeling they will not.

You know our country well!

[Actually thats not fair, but the quality of the CCTV cameras is so ridiculosly poor, that they often can make nothing out. So most of the time nothing comes of it. I know that from having been mugged before. For instance, someone ran past me at about 100 miles per hour one night, and snatched my phone from my hand. Im nt idding I blinked and he was gone. And on another occasion, I had my wallet stolen, and my card was used at an ATM, which was caught on CCTV, but the image was so poor they could not make the person out. They then started asking me questions like, was I forced to do it?!! And was it me on the CCTV camera!!!!!!!] :cop:
I have reported it now, and the police seemed very helpful. They want to send someone out to take details and do an investigation.
I bet any CCTV image looks like this: :christmas1:
:rofl:
In all seriousness though, they have a scheme at the moment, called one punch, because there have been a number of deaths of people after receiving one punch.
And whoever did this to me, if they had done the same to another person, they could quite easily have died. I think I have quite a thick noggin. More than one doctor said my skull should have been fractured looking at the damage.

I did ask if there was a report of an assault on that night and he checked and there was not. So maybe no-one saw it? I cant remember! Anyway, Ive done what I can now, and I'd like to just put it to bed, and move on. I still feel battered. Cheers for all the replies. [I must have been told ten times now to call the police, by doctors, nurses, family friends, relations, and on here, so I have done now, thanks]

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I hope you're on the mend (what did he tell you to do about your ankles?) are fit in good time for Sweden, that the police sort things out, that you have no hassle replacing your stolen card, and that next time you wait in the pub and get the barman to call a taxi for you!

atb,
M

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hahahah Thanks Mary. Im T-total now, for a year Ive decided. My ankles, particularly left one, is an inversion injury. It should be ok in 4 weeks he said. I'll just have to be extra careful. My immune systems screwed though, thats why its taking so long...

That song keeps playing in my head.....All I want for Christmas is me two front teeth.....:D

You gotta laugh or you'd cry!:(

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry Dave :eek: I forgot about needing the dentist too.
Yeah, that's not funny at all. The swollen face looked down right brutally come by, but that it would heal as the bruising subsided. Teeth are a different thing entirely.
A good dentist is a blessing. I hope your's is :)

M

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im hoping to come away more handsome with an amazing dazzling smile! [I broke my jaw, and nose, and knocked all my front teeth loose, when i was 16 going over the handle bars of a motorbike, down a park hill. Was in dental surgery for months, root canals on them, and now have crooked teeth.] I dont think they have nerves in them whn you get root canals, because when they snapped, they didnt hurt a bit this time. It was just impossible to eat! I'd get braces if i could afford.

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Correct. Rootcanal treatment removes the nerves inside. Unfortunately the teeth become a bit more brittle over the years.

I hope the roots do not have any cracks in them.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Do not worry, that is part of the examination before he starts transforming you into Brad Pitt!
I would have written Clark Gable, but Clark had full dentures to and bottom, and I do not wish you that!)

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
I'm sorry to hear what's happened Dave. I can't believe the police weren't called by the hospital, after your arrival. That used to be the usual protocol, when someone has been robbed/assaulted.

Hope you heal well and are fit enough, for your upcoming Sweden trip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE