Anyone able to make a SAS smock up from a bolt of cloth?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Now the SASS company is no longer, is there anyone out there who either worked for the company or has the pattern to make a few up?
Someone must still do them in the UK as I am sure not all production has gone to China.

I have some fabric, and can, might, get some more, but its getting someone willing to make them up without blowing the bank. A full scale manufacturer isn't going to be interested knocking a few out. So really its got to be someone who has the skill, has the pattern, has the machinery and happy to do it for sensible money.

These have always been my preferred coat for shooting and messing around in the woods. Just like the cut. I really fancy one in true Ventile, or even thicker Ventile. Plus a snow Camo one. I have quite a few in various DPM's MTP's and OG cotton.

Thought I might ask if there is a home/shed machinist that would enjoy doing a few. Probably far too much work involved to be at commercial rates. So someone as a hobby, just game on???

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
Thanks for that.
Trouble is the pattern is quite convoluted and probably needs a pattern.

Its a long shot but maybe someones been doing them for years???? Or doing them now???

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
JayJays of Brecon make a smock of this type. Maybe they would consider having one made for you.

I was in a shop today who had a whole batch of PCS smock copies (in various colours and camos) made a few years ago. They said 'never again' they have taken much longer to sell than anticipated, even the chinese factory that made them have said they are one of the slowest selling styles they have done.

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
For the price could you not hunt down an original? are you talking about the dpm smock?

I have some originals, 70's and 80's. I also have a ventile DPM one that came out of a black bin liner for £50, like all the best kit did in those days :cool: An OG one thats ok but not the finest gaberdine. Sourced a MTP cotton one the other week just because...
Most of my service the issue combats were either heavy or later chinese crap, so we bought our own. Combat 95 saved the day, and saved us all a fortune. No idea what the MTP combats are like. The last batch of DPM smocks got even blacker and not very nice.

Sadly, there are a whole lot of copies which just don't work, mainly in that the DPM is pants. The original remains the best. The Arctic with wire hood has too much hood. So yes I like the old stuff.

Anyhow, I have some snow camo cloth and thought I'd try to have one for me and one for my son made up. For those sunny snow covered days... for the fun of it.
I run hot so like a thin windproof when active.

Will send Twodogs a shout shortly. He likes his wool which is less finicky than cotton; not sure if he would relish making in cotton?? Can but ask.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I had an SASS smock back in my TA days. I was lucky enough to do a snipers cadre, but our unit was reluctant to get us the snipers jackets, so I went to SASS and had one of thier smocks made to be more like the snipers jacket. A few friends had the SAS windproof smocks and I remember the SASS one being much heavier. For the life of me I can't remember what happened to that jacket.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Oh where oh where this side of the rainbow can I get alpenflage in ventile? It is just not going to happen is it?

I have seen this company, I wonder if they could help, it seems they are willing to make custom garments. http://www.mountain-method.co.uk/

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
I am going to have a go at making one (probably in the new year now).

I fancy a no frills OG one, just standard breast and bottom pockets, nothing on the sleeves and no velcro or pockets on the arms.

This was why I had the wanted ad up, I was planning to use a CS95 hooded smock as a pattern, buy an old one and cut it up for the pattern.
I managed to pick up one that was supposed to be Grade 2 DPM from a local shop. Lol trouble is it looks brands new and I can't bring myself to cut it up, so will first try to take measurements from it.

Material wise I am leaning towards a Garardine, going to try and get a few samples.

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
Sorry for bumping an old thread. Found it for searching the forum for clothing patterns. I agree with the OP about blowing the bank to get a custom made smock.

I am after a MTP SAS smock, there are a few genuine on ebay but they seem to be cadet size. Adult ones are £200 plus. Silly money. This is the nearest and cheapest I could find. https://www.camouflage-store.com/military/mtp-clothing/jackets/solo-atp-sas-smock.html I think SOLO are no more but their stuff is still about. https://www.camouflage-store.com/military/mtp-clothing/jackets/1/ Seems to be the nearest thing since the demise of SASS.

These are ok but def not waterproof, or great in the wind. https://forcesuniformandkit.co.uk/c...m-windproof-smock-replica?variant=27555291457 https://forcesuniformandkit.co.uk/c...g/products/british-army-green-windproof-smock
As for the post above, I wouldnt cut up a smock. You are better getting pattern paper and drawing round the various parts of your donor garment. If you cant get pattern paper I used to use old OS map sheets. A broadsheet newspaper would work also as a pattern.

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
I have no doubt it will be a quality item, but, the buttons down the front are a deal breaker for me. If you are on your belt buckle or near a cam net you are guarenteed to loose buttons.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The Lovely John Fenna sells a book on making ones own clothing , or maybe you could commission him to make it for you>}? Obvioulsy only If he is interested.

Mulloch

Mar 24, 2019
UK
I think I may have read it. Actually Ive got two books by him, think I got them from Penrith or point North a fabric supplier many moons ago. One is clothing, the other is outdoor gear. I found this thread whilst searching for articles about clothing patterns. I have an urge to try and make my own Zoot suit. I had a double skinned one many years ago from survival aids. Dont know what became of it. Need to find a suitable pattern and solve the problem around a hood. Will possibly create a new thread asking for advice. I am ok with trailor canopies/tent repairs/new zips/patches etc but tailored items is beyond me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE