Anybody up for a gathering in the lakes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Just a thought...
I was wondering if anyone would be up for getting together sharing a few hints and tips and generally having the craic. Dates and location can be arranged if theres a bit of interest. May even take the canoe if we end up in a spot near water. I have a spot that might be usable dependant on permissions...although if there are any suggestions that would be welcome. Always good to have a backup.
What do you think..

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Hi Joely,
Not at the moment should be giving the owners a bell over the weekend to see if there up for the idea. Then I can get some photos and see what you all think. Its a nice little wood. Should be good for hammock swingers!!
Or an alternative.... thought if theres a few with canoes how about the island on derwent?? for an overnighter?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Hello shutz .
Sounds like a plan.Love to join you all if I can get away.
As long as you serious water types dont laugh at my inflatable canoodle!
Cheers , Simon

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
sounds good, no canoe either so ill volenteer to be one of the fools in an inflatible beach dingy :D
unless we have the time and resources to build a makeshift raft :)

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Dates wise thinking 2nd or third weekend in march?
weekends 12th/13th or 19th/20th.
I like the rafting idea its been years since ive done that. Unfortunately i cant get hold of the materials to make one. Even a coracle would be a bit tricky. Might keep a look out for some bits though for the future. It would be a great test on inginuity. Did a raft race once where we had to build the rafts at the start of the race. We were the first team to finish ours ran into the water and didnt know about the sudden drop off. All 4 of us disapeared and lost the paddles....ended up trying to paddle with bits of 3x2 and ended up getting rescued cause we took to long...

Anyway back to the meetup.

So then folks whats it to be woods or canoe...

I will give the owners a bell tomorrow anyway it will still be good to know one way or the other.
I am happy to take a passenger in the canadian and got a bit of spare gear too. (any one else happy to offer the same)

joely

Forager
Sep 27, 2010
York
12/13th should be ok for me as I have committed to the Brockwell meet on the 19th, and canoe trip sounds good but maybe thats cos i'm new to it and I need the practice :) but also happy whatever!

Joel

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Just spoke to who i thought owned the woodland turns out it belongs to united utilities so i think thats a no no i think... however i might have a backup...

shutz

Forager
Jan 5, 2011
cumbria
Hi folks, I have been waiting to catch a guy at work as he owns a piece of woodland on the western edge of the lakes to see if he's up for me using it, might have to cross his palm with silver but not sure yet. Should get to see him on monday. However the walk i posted on the out n about thread to a wood looked ok. Have a look on google maps and look for ennerdale lake and its at the rear of crag fell. Its pretty remote at the top and there are some nice open bits within. Maybe a possibility??
Failing that there is the canoe trip. (see earlier posts in this thread)
Or there a cracking little campsite at the top end of thirlmere. The camping area is usually quiet, they allow fires and the woods through a gate from the camping area. Plus theres thirlmere 5mins walk. This time of year it should be quiet. I have been going there for years and highly recommend it. Could be good for a bit of creative tarpology? And its close to the car (more toys to take?)
As for dates how about the 12th of march? Could do later but not really any earlier.

So really we can get the ball rolling if your up for it. And then sort out the agenda if theres anything that people fancy doing or can offer. Will take a carving set for folk to play with. But to be honest i am quite happy to get out and about have a craic.

For those with canoes the thirlmere site could be a good compromise and i would be quite happy to take someone out?
Let us know your thoughts............
Cheers
Shutz.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE