Anybody NOT celebrating xmas by heading out?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
As much as I`d like to get away from the wrinklies and take my new boat out for a spin, if I sneaked out xmas day I might aswell not bother coming back.

Have a great day though fella, I`ll be thinking about you whilst sleeping off the sprouts and watching Moonraker no doubt.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Haven't been "out" for nearly 4 months due to dodgy knee. Hoping to enjoy the traditional Boxing Day walk even more than usual this year. Even if it's only a couple of miles and it's raining...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Last time I took the dog out on Xmas day I got this shot which has done well for me.

tandlehill-mist.jpg

You can bet I'll be out again this year.
4905.gif

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm always out at xmas, have been since i was 17 or so. Its the best day of the year to be out because no one else is .It's just so quiet.

Truth be told, i don't celebrate it. I'm not a christian, i've never been christened, i don't go to the church that holds xmas as one of its festivals. So what right do i have to celebrate it?. If i was going to then i might as well celebrate Ede and Divaali too. But i'd be fake for doing so, only taking the best parts while leaving the rest. No thanks.

I celebrate the fact that Gaia gets a rest from us for a day, well in the most part. I spend the day with her and our native birds and trees and other animals and be at peace with it all without fear of being interupted.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Christmas day will be the same as usual , kids waking me up at 4.30am to ask me to go down stairs with them to open up there presents. But come Boxing day the misses is taking the kids away to her mums and is staying over for 2days,so i have 2 days all to myself,and i intend to make the most of it getting out and about.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Unfortunately I am forced to celebrate christmas (have to help carry my invalid grandfather into my parents house). My mother is a strong believer in the season of guilt, recrimination and emotional blackmail, and cannot bring herself to understand why I wouldn't want to be as miserable as everyone else:rolleyes: . I'd love to head out for a day or two on my own to appreciate nature in relative solitude.
I'm also getting pretty sick of being called "an old humbug" by a bunch of athiests at work for not celebrating a religious festival of a faith I don't belong to and have very little respect for:dunno: .
Sorry, rant over.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I realy REALY want to go out and have fun...but the rich Auntie AKA "pension fund" is staying with us - as ever over Xmas - so I have to behave myself!

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I plan to awake not too early then after my lad has opened a present and we have breakie then pop to the cathedral for 1hr, to clear my lungs before lunch then in the afternoon a short stroll on the heath. Pics to follow (silly ones of course)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, after helping my Buddhist friends shop, and my Muslim friends put up their decorations, and my pagan friends deliver their cards, Im pretty sick of this religious nonsense.

Its my birthday sunday, i have every right to be grumpy.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i was sick of christmas about week ago, with all the annoying adverts and christmas songs, now i just want to get it over with. imo christmas has drifted far away from any idea of religion, its just an excuse to make a big fuss and buy each other presents. someone delivering presents from a flying raindeer slay? christmas trees? cant see how that relates to christianity:confused:

pete

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
someone delivering presents from a flying raindeer slay? christmas trees? cant see how that relates to christianity:confused:

pete

That's more a case of early christians subverting and adopting pagan religious beliefs and practices to strengthen their own powerbase and gain converts. But lets not open that can of worms please.

Mooseman1

Forager
Dec 22, 2008
London UK
Christmas day this year is going to be spent with the wife and friends in the arvo, boxing day we are planning a long walk around the Royal Parks. hyde and regent i guess.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Nope, I love it too, :present:, having the family round, SWMBO knocking her socks off to make a great meal, watching the family all fall asleep. Kids hyper, nice glass of wine, some pate and cheese, nice break from work, what's not to like?? Or maybe that's my CBT talking ;), 'spose it's what you make of it, I'll be grinnin' all day :D

Cheers all and Merry Christmas when it comes! :beerchug:

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE