Anybody got any starter projects?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I've been making leather pouches recently.

Got a leather jacket for a fancy dress thing in a charity shop for £6 - only made two pouches so far but they come in real handy for tinder pouches etc.

Andy

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
not without buying more kit :D
you can start with carving a spatula, which can be done with only a knife, and then move onto spoons, but you will need a crook knife (mora ones arent too good but they are cheap).
get the basics done first though, feathersticks, various useful knots, lighting a fire in various ways (friction, ferro rod, flint and steel)

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
I looked at the "practice on something soft" thread. It mentions making a small cup from a bump on a tree and then scouping out the insides. It doesnt say how to remove the insides, can this be done without a crook knife?

Thanks.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I looked at the "practice on something soft" thread. It mentions making a small cup from a bump on a tree and then scouping out the insides. It doesnt say how to remove the insides, can this be done without a crook knife?

Thanks.

Crook knife, spon knife, spoon gouge - or burn it out with an ember ...they all work :)

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
The first thing I learned to do was cordage, first from nettles but now (because I have access to a lot of the raw material) using Yucca leaves.

It's a great starting activity as you don't need any special kit, you develop a useful skill and you can see your technique improving as you go. Just make sure you don't leave bits of fibre all over the carpet!

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Just made a sheath from the leather uppers of a pair of shoes that were to be thrown out (pics soon).

All other tools materials already round house. My first go at leather work and gave a couple of really pleasant evenings.

ditto to the post John is referring to - loads of ideas.

alex

connorav

Apr 10, 2011
Merseyside
dont you need to tan it with brains?
The cordage would be a fun try. I plan on going to bidston hill soon and search for anything
bone, bumps in trees, rabbits
shall be fun :D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I hope this works....
The thread is - 'practise on something soft, not necessarily a brother scout’s head'

The book is - Spare Time Activities for Scouts and Others

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE