Anybody else use garden secateurs in bushcraft?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Or am I being a wimp? :D

I find them so incredibly useful when using small wood stoves (e.g. kelly kettle, hobo cooker, pocket cooker) that I'm tempted to add a set to my daysack. Mainly because it's so easy to cut twigs to the right size to go in the cooker - especially those twigs that are a bit thick to break by hand into the 2-3" lengths that I need for these little wood burners.

Geoff

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
They are also good for clearing overgrown paths in woodland, where small branches have grown across. I spent yesterday adventuring about in a new woodland and came across a lot of unused paths where the branches had crept across. Didn't have my secateurs with me but they would have been very handy.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I always carry a pair; they're just incredibly useful. Everything from cutting nettle stems, brambles and willows to cutting up small stuff for the kelly kettle. I use fancy ratchett ones at home but unless I know I'm going out for heavy stuff I mostly just carry a really lightweight pair. I do get some funny looks from *real* bushcrafters though when I pull out the secateurs, but in many ways they're more acceptable when I'm out gathering in public places.

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The Leatherman Vista tool has secateurs, wire cutters, saw, choke tube tool, screwdrivers, awl, knife etc - no wimpyness here - and it comes in a cammo belt pouch!
Actually it is VERY useful!

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
yep me too. got a set from the pound shop after xylaria convinced me in a post a while back. Now use them more than a knife as i get less looks from the public and i feel thats important. can be very effective as an improvised knife also.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I wimped out of taking mine to my Plantlore course as I thought I probably wouldn't
need them but I made good use of my small pair of scissors in cutting a couple of
strips of birch bark :)

I reasoned that if one blade is good, two might be even better. We (welll some of
us) used my gardening gloves in collecting the nettles for the cordage.

Gailainne

Life Member
The public walking by aspect has great appeal I must say, I often harvest fallen trees etc and use my folding saw for the purpose, even if your in mid act, with a saw no-one seems to bother, an axe on the other hand..shrug who knows, never tried it. The secateurs would fall into the same category, something normal, everyday, I'm looking to harvest bramble for cordage, I think I'll leave everything else at home and just take my secateurs (and some leather gloves :eek: ). Nice one mate good call :D

Stephen

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I use them when harvesting arrow shafts and the like. Much neater than a billhook and faster than a saw :) I may well start using the knives that I make for basketmakers to harvest their willow this winter.

Secs are a very handy bit of kit I reckon, but it's one extra thing to carry with you I guess.

Oh, I don't actually have secateurs. I have something made by Gerber called 'tactical game shears'. they are funny shaped secs and come all in black. So I guess that's not so wimpy? :D

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
Yep, secateurs are great. I used Felco 'rolling handle' design when I was pruning apple trees every day for 8 wks of the year, the rolling handle reduces fatigue on palms and fingers.
Very useful when ferreting as you can quietly snip brambles out the way of netting areas without alerting the rabbits below ground.
Everyone should have a pair.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I just got myself a pair of extendable loppers for use round the camp for firewood, a lot more energy efficient(and safer after a beer!) than an axe or saw around the campfire. They can chop through wrist thick logs no problem. May get some secateurs for carrying around as they are neater and quicker than a knife or saw for cutting sticks for pothangers etc.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Yep, used a folding set from local garden centre for clearing OPs and the like for 10yrs. Good around the basha area too, there's always something to snag clothes or worse buttons on (usually cam nets!). Still carry them on bushcraft trips but now it's usually brambles:cool: !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE