any woodturners here?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Hello All

I'm hoping some of you could help out, I'm now using an electric lathe and slowly getting to grasps with all the fancy new tools:rolleyes:

I've started doing some quite big holes, things like Tankards, goblets and other hollow objects. I've hit some technical issues when it gets deeps, as in deeper than 7 inchs.

I'm finding my tools (scrapers, gauges parting tool) become quite scary when they will suddenly dig in:yikes:.

I've had a chat with a wood turner at college (evening hobbie course) and he suggests the Rolly Munro Tool, and I quite like the looks of the Hamlet Big brother.

Hope someone out there will be able to help

Joe

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Hi Joe,

I sold a Big Brother a couple of years ago, just couldn't get it to work without jamming the head with shavings every couple of seconds, despite persevering for ages and trying different cutter opening settings and angles.

Got a Rolly Munro and found it light years better, quick and easy to use and very effective but expensive. There are newer makes that have come to market too, can't recall if Sorby and Crown perhaps do something similar, which I doubt will be better but might be cheaper, but then again they could turn out to be like the Big Brother !

Have a look online at The Toolpost, Turners Retreat, Axminster etc to see what's available, but I would recommend the RM if the cost isn't an obstacle.

Cheers, Paul

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I'm not sure that I've ever turned anything that deep that I couldn't fit a smaller tool rest into at least some of the cavity (to reduce distance between rest and work). My first thought would be to use a tool with a longer hanlde to give you more leverage on that end and offer more control. Certainly cheaper than buying a new £100 tool if you can use your normal gouge with a 24" handle ;)

skate

Nomad
Apr 13, 2010
East Devon
Had no personal experience of the Rolly Munro tool but seen them demonstrated and they are well regarded. Also seen tools made for next to nothing from a telegraph pole stay and individual teeth from an electric hedge cutter set in the end with a grub screw.
It does take time to master the technique. I always drill out what I can first with a suitable Forstner bit in a Jacobs chuck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE