Any way to remove permenent marker?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
You could try Acetone (nail varnish remover), Ask at your local school. Sometimes teachers have been known to use permanent markers on White Boards instead of the correct ones,so they must have come across this problem.:rolleyes:

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Unfortunately dependant of the surface its used one, it can vary from easyish to very hard to get off. If the material is absorbent or rough or worse - both, it can just about impossible t completely remove. Be careful when using any cleaner as it may take some of the dye from the pack too. If you do use something , make sure you try it in a out of sight place first to test if it takes the dye of of the pack. Try local hardware or iron monger shops, they tend to have things that help situations like this.

Hope that helps a bit, Nag.

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Hmmn. . I have heard you can remove permanent marker from photo's with Brasso (also Duraglit might be easier to use) so it might be worth a go on this (can't hurt).

Please keep us informed how this turns out as I'm sure those among us who have Ex-Mob kit would be very interested!!

Kev

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
I think you've had it fellah.
But, had it have been a smooth ,non absorbent suface, you could've tried the old faithful trick of applying more marker over the top and be very very sharpish wiping off the whole lot.

Ceeg

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
You could try Acetone (nail varnish remover), Ask at your local school. Sometimes teachers have been known to use permanent markers on White Boards instead of the correct ones,so they must have come across this problem.:rolleyes:

Slander! Teachers never make mistakes! :nutkick:

But seriously acetone works on white boards so should work on PLCE!

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
nail varnish remover (acetone), more pen, or best of all deodorant is what we used to get the stuff off maps. Ops tends to stink of one brand of deodorant or another depending on who's working each day :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ill try and tell you how I do

It would be a major breakthough if I can remove it off kit....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Xylene works well.
Paint thinners, (not white spirit) the stuff bodyshop sprayers use works on most of them. Try dry cleaning fluid too but it evaporates so fast you need to kind of soak on and off to remove lettering.
Isopropyl alcohol ought also work, Maplins sell this, £10 a litre though :rolleyes:

cheers,
Toddy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I did a bit of car valleting about 10 years ago and we used to use cellulose thinners on all the upholstery and interior surfaces. Fair enough the cars would stink and had to sit for a day with the windows open afterwards but it got anything you could imagine off.

Rich

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Here's a wild idea, it might work I dont now. My wife makes dolls and one day she had some vinyl that was marked with pen (biro) she normally uses non acetone nail varnish remover to clean vinyl and it normaly work's, but this one wouldnt budge. We tried meths, turps, cif cleaner, all sorts. Then I sudgested trying a baby wipe, wapped round the bit with the mark, and wrapped with cling film to stop it drying out. We thought try anything. Any way next morning she removed the plastic and baby wipe, and the mark was gone, the wipe dissolved it drew it out and absorbed it over night. Baby wipes remove paint we discovered-handy to clean spills when your glossing. (worrying realy) might be worth a try on the marker stain. Or maybe get some rag (old cotton t shirt, or cotton wool) soaked in meths, wrap it round the area marked, and leave it a while?

archie3

May 9, 2007
LANCASHIRE
One way I have found to remove permanent from a white board is to colour over the mark with a dry wipe marker then rub it off once dry. Off comes the dry wipe and the permanent mark as well. Wether it will work on plce I don't know try it in a discreet area first.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
if it doesn't work, then maybe a 'Tengu' patch over the offending area if it's for you - personally i don't mind a previous owners name on my ex-forces kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE