Any volunteers for the Scouts ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Was thinking of joining as a volunteer, as I used to be an outdoor pursuits instructor and have always thought it would be an ideal way to use the skills I have.
Is it easy enough to join, ( I have a responsible job and a fully checkable background )

Cheers

Paul

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
Was thinking of joining as a volunteer, as I used to be an outdoor pursuits instructor and have always thought it would be an ideal way to use the skills I have.
Is it easy enough to join, ( I have a responsible job and a fully checkable background )

Cheers

Paul

As long as you can pass the Bleep tests , assault course and psych exam :D

Seriously as long as you are eager and willing to give your time a Scout group or Explorer Scout unit will welcome you with open arms , especially if you have outdoor quals ? Which side of Manchester are you on ?

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
It is easy enough to join and most Scout groups are crying out for helpers/ leaders! It's not that young people are not interested in Scoutng but that there are not enough Adults prepared to give up the time and help out.

You can get as involved as you want either by being a helper and giving up a few hours a week, being registered as a scout skills/ activties instructor and helping out multiple groupsin the specific skills you have or being a full leader (which is probably the most rewrding but also most time consuming), if you want to be a leader there is a full training scheme to support you.

I would always encourage anyone ho is able and enthusiastic about the outdoors to get involved as it ionly a great excuse to get outside more it is hugely rewarding.

I am sure there will be other comments as there ar so many scouters who are members.

I'm an Explorer Scout leader, the explorers are really good fun; being an older age group (14-18) we do so many activities and expeditions, were are going to romania & South Africa this year, were going to north yorkshire walking & caving next weekend, we do the 3 peaks challange, were doing a DofE silver canoe exped & loads of walking ones.

It's really rewarding. go for it, if you need any info or help just ask.

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
It is a good way to use your skills. All Scout leaders are volunteers, there are no paid posts. You can join as an adult occasional helper, or after a while become a Scout leader. In my own case I joined as an occasional helper and as so often with these things became part of the furniture, so to speak, and went "into uniform" after a couple of years.

A good starting place for information is to contact the Scout Association via scouts.org.uk , there is a contact telephone number on the site, have a chat to them, they're friendly and helpful and will be able to advise and guide you.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
As long as you can pass the Bleep tests , assault course and psych exam :D

Seriously as long as you are eager and willing to give your time a Scout group or Explorer Scout unit will welcome you with open arms , especially if you have outdoor quals ? Which side of Manchester are you on ?

Cheersfor the info peeps. Im based in Bolton. The Explorers sound like the ones for me

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
I've just got interested in this idea too. I discovered recently that our local unit is lacking a leader, and realised that if people like me don't get off their backsides the situation won't get fixed. I guess I'll be contacting them now I've seen this thread!

Fizzlebang

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2009
Surrey
I have been an explorer scout leader for just over a year now and am really enjoying it...even if some of the activities i plan are more for me than the scouts ;)

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I've just got interested in this idea too. I discovered recently that our local unit is lacking a leader, and realised that if people like me don't get off their backsides the situation won't get fixed. I guess I'll be contacting them now I've seen this thread!

You're absolutely right cave_dweller, and it is a good way of passing the skills on. Like everything it has its ups and downs and I certainly find the outdoor stuff more interesting than the indoor stuff, but it's all good.

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
We filled in the volunteer application form on the Scouts website for Pinky, who previously worked with a special needs Scout group in SE London before moving house. No-one has responded to him yet :(

If anyone happens to work with the Scouts in the Merton/Wimbledon district or nearby, we've got a very willing volunteer at home who is fully CRB passable and also speaks fluent British Sign Language!

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
We filled in the volunteer application form on the Scouts website for Pinky, who previously worked with a special needs Scout group in SE London before moving house. No-one has responded to him yet :(

If anyone happens to work with the Scouts in the Merton/Wimbledon district or nearby, we've got a very willing volunteer at home who is fully CRB passable and also speaks fluent British Sign Language!

I'd recommended giving Gilwell HQ a ring on 0845 300 1818 (local rate) and talking direct to them. The guys who run Scouting are all volunteers, many of whom are busy in their non-Scouting lives so sometimes responses are slower than you might get elsewhere, that is not an excuse juast something I have found through experience.

cbkernow

Forager
Jun 18, 2009
cornwall
I'd recommended giving Gilwell HQ a ring on 0845 300 1818 (local rate) and talking direct to them. The guys who run Scouting are all volunteers, many of whom are busy in their non-Scouting lives so sometimes responses are slower than you might get elsewhere, that is not an excuse juast something I have found through experience.

Actually, most of the folk at Gilwell are paid, it is afterall a very large charity organisation with millions of pounds of money going in and out! At a local level, all the people running groups, working with kids and such like are volunteers, else where in the organisation, people are paid.

Filling in forms on the site or calling the info line tends to get your details passed "down the line" to a local volunteer coordinator (what we call a "District Commissioner") so sometimes it gets held up along the way.

I've been in Scouting for three years now as an adult, after leaving at 16, and run a scout troop (10.5-14.5 yrs old). Its incredibly fulfilling, and really can involve as little or as much time as you are willing to give.

though be warned, when you find you enjoy it you might discover it takes up more and more of your time.... everything I seem to do now makes me think, how can this benefit my troop? Meeting new people, simple shopping trips.....

:)

Fizzlebang

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2009
Surrey

dont suppose you fancy helping out at an Explorer scout group in Kenley? ;)

...just kidding BTW, hope you get something sorted!

Last edited:

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Actually, most of the folk at Gilwell are paid, it is afterall a very large charity organisation with millions of pounds of money going in and out! At a local level, all the people running groups, working with kids and such like are volunteers, else where in the organisation, people are paid.

Yep... Scouting is not a poor organisation! The UK scouting association as a registered charity has an income of over £10 million a year and that is just from childrens subs! That does not take into account individual scout group accounts, money raised for the association or left to the association in wills - which a surprising number of people also do...

Gilwell are paid to support the groups, leaders and children so they are there for your benefit... Any questions or issues then call therm!

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK

Filling in forms on the site or calling the info line tends to get your details passed "down the line" to a local volunteer coordinator (what we call a "District Commissioner") so sometimes it gets held up along the way.

:)

My comment was about Scout Leaders all of whom are volunteers, not Gilwell's staff :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE