Any thoughts on my kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 11, 2016
Sweden
Hi everyone,

New member here and I've been working on putting together this base kit to carry with me whether it's for a 4 hour trip or a 72 hour trip. I would love some feedback on it and see if there's anything you find unnecessary or something that I've missed. I'm going to give you a list and put a small explanation after it.

Tin with charred cloth
Cotton
Vaseline
Birch bark
Lighter
Fire steel
Needle & Thread
Fishing utilities, hooks, jigs, line, bobber
Thermos
Swedish mess kit
Wood stove
Foldable saw
Two different Mora knifes for carving sculptures or whatever, solely for entertainment
Thin rope, for say bow drill or trap building, length about 10 meters and thickness about a shoelace
2 big safety hook
2 small safety hook
Large First Aid Kit
1 field flora
1 field book about trees and bushes
1 survival book from the Swedish army
Notebook
Pen
Bandana
Wool blanket
Tarp
550 paracord, 15 meters
Map over my area
Compass
Lamp
Small whetstone

This is what I carry in my backpack, a Swedish LK35. The first eight items in the list I carry in a bigger tin put in a watertight bag. Usually I don't use the fire utilities in here, especially not during dry conditions. Those utilities are for those times you're really struggling getting a fire, or a survival situation.
The needle, thread and fishing utilities I obviously don't need on a 4 hour trip but considering their weight and space I don't see the point of taking them in and out of the bag. The wood stove I love, simple, easy and fast if you just want to boil water for your thirst. It also comes in handy during dry season when it's forbidden to make camp fires.
The tarp can seem unnecessary for a 4 hour trip but I actually think it's really important. Living in Sweden I'm allowed to set up a camp anywhere I want, except peoples yards, and even though I'm only going to be in the woods for a couple of hours there's a big difference sitting under a tarp compared to not. For me it's a totally different feeling.

I then carry some things on me which is my Mora Bushcraft knife, fire steel, wallet, cell phone, mini compass, small safety hook, my tobacco and my asthma medicine.

This is what I always carry, doesn't matter the situation. Sleeping bag and clothes I take what's needed if needed, the same with food. I don't have an axe in my default setup since I find no use for it for trips shorter than a couple of days up to even a week depending on the conditions.

So what do you think, any comments?

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Carolinitza,

Just had a quick look and the following springs to mind -

Any trip can become unintentionally extended (if not through your own misfortune then possibly through someone you may encounter) so I always carry -

Whistle - (mountain safety type (no pea to lose) torches and phones can fail);
Emergency plastic bivvy bag - bright orange or olive - your choice - multi uses;
8 hour cyalume (chemical glow) sticks - local light for you or a location marker for you/your camp/your kit etc. (keeps working if you can't!)
Water filter and puritabs - on a three day outing I can go through 6 litres of H20 and I ain't gonna carry that weight so mother nature provides - sometimes from a non running source.:)

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
In my opinion that's a nice kit set up, there will be others with more experience along to go through in detail no doubt.
Couple of things I noticed.
Maybe split up your firemaking supplies and carry some of them on your person with your firesteel. In an emergency you may not have your bag with you, so being sure you can light a fire if you're soaked and don't have your bag would be important to me.
If it was me I would take some sort of space blanket to put on the ground if I had to sleep out, to keep my blanket dry, also comes in handy in an emergency as a signal or an extra layer.
Some duct tape might also be useful.
Maybe spare socks, a hat and gloves, just in case you get stuck somewhere, it's horrible having cold/wet extremities.
I also would be carrying a small torch and emergency whistle on my person.
Personally I would also swap out the thermos for a stainless steel bottle, but then I prefer to boil water as and when I need it, because I like playing with fire/stoves.

All that being said if this set up is working for you, then go with it.

Last edited:

Nic Le Becheur

Forager
Sep 10, 2015
Ludlow
Hi everyone,

New member here and I've been working on putting together this base kit to carry with me whether it's for a 4 hour trip or a 72 hour trip. I would love some feedback on it and see if there's anything you find unnecessary or something that I've missed. I'm going to give you a list and put a small explanation after it.

Tin with charred cloth
Cotton
Vaseline
Birch bark
Lighter
Fire steel
Needle & Thread
Fishing utilities, hooks, jigs, line, bobber
Thermos
Swedish mess kit
Wood stove
Foldable saw
Two different Mora knifes for carving sculptures or whatever, solely for entertainment
Thin rope, for say bow drill or trap building, length about 10 meters and thickness about a shoelace
2 big safety hook
2 small safety hook
Large First Aid Kit
1 field flora
Notebook
Pen
Bandana
Wool blanket
Tarp
550 paracord, 15 meters
Map over my area
Compass
Lamp
Small whetstone

This is what I carry in my backpack, a Swedish LK35. The first eight items in the list I carry in a bigger tin put in a watertight bag. Usually I don't use the fire utilities in here, especially not during dry conditions. Those utilities are for those times you're really struggling getting a fire, or a survival situation.
The needle, thread and fishing utilities I obviously don't need on a 4 hour trip but considering their weight and space I don't see the point of taking them in and out of the bag. The wood stove I love, simple, easy and fast if you just want to boil water for your thirst. It also comes in handy during dry season when it's forbidden to make camp fires.
The tarp can seem unnecessary for a 4 hour trip but I actually think it's really important. Living in Sweden I'm allowed to set up a camp anywhere I want, except peoples yards, and even though I'm only going to be in the woods for a couple of hours there's a big difference sitting under a tarp compared to not. For me it's a totally different feeling.

I then carry some things on me which is my Mora Bushcraft knife, fire steel, wallet, cell phone, mini compass, small safety hook, my tobacco and my asthma medicine.

This is what I always carry, doesn't matter the situation. Sleeping bag and clothes I take what's needed if needed, the same with food. I don't have an axe in my default setup since I find no use for it for trips shorter than a couple of days up to even a week depending on the conditions.

- Looks good, though considering what Jaeger already said. What's in the First Aid kit, though?

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
Pretty comprehensive list. Good for you. Take whatever you want, so you feel comfortable and safe when you're out in nature. Everyone has their own ideas on what is 'essential' but it's really all down to personal choice. I totally agree with what you say about putting up a tarp. If I stop for any longer than 15 minutes I will put some kind of shelter up, even if that's as basic as wrapping my JervenBag round me. My two cents on kit is take what you're comfortable with carrying so that your trip isn't a chore. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

May 11, 2016
Sweden
I don;t see a sleep mat, or water system on your list.

I haven't felt the need for it. I usually build something simple with a couple of logs or I place a pile of spruce or pine branches underneath my wool blanket. Regarding the water system which many have commented on I definitely going to buy some puritabs. Thanks for answering.

In my opinion that's a nice kit set up, there will be others with more experience along to go through in detail no doubt.
Couple of things I noticed.
Maybe split up your firemaking supplies and carry some of them on your person with your firesteel. In an emergency you may not have your bag with you, so being sure you can light a fire if you're soaked and don't have your bag would be important to me.
If it was me I would take some sort of space blanket to put on the ground if I had to sleep out, to keep my blanket dry, also comes in handy in an emergency as a signal or an extra layer.
Some duct tape might also be useful.
Maybe spare socks, a hat and gloves, just in case you get stuck somewhere, it's horrible having cold/wet extremities.
I also would be carrying a small torch and emergency whistle on my person.
Personally I would also swap out the thermos for a stainless steel bottle, but then I prefer to boil water as and when I need it, because I like playing with fire/stoves.

All that being said if this set up is working for you, then go with it.

Thanks for your advice. I have also thought about swapping the thermos for a stainless bottle. Will have to buy one and try it out.

- Looks good, though considering what Jaeger already said. What's in the First Aid kit, though?

It is a quite large First Aid Kit with a bottle of alcohol to clean wounds, different type of bandage, tape, burn dressing, first aid blanket and a pair scissors.

Pretty comprehensive list. Good for you. Take whatever you want, so you feel comfortable and safe when you're out in nature. Everyone has their own ideas on what is 'essential' but it's really all down to personal choice. I totally agree with what you say about putting up a tarp. If I stop for any longer than 15 minutes I will put some kind of shelter up, even if that's as basic as wrapping my JervenBag round me. My two cents on kit is take what you're comfortable with carrying so that your trip isn't a chore. Have fun!

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thanks, cheers me up reading your post. Love the attitude.

Aye Up Carolinitza,

Just had a quick look and the following springs to mind -

Any trip can become unintentionally extended (if not through your own misfortune then possibly through someone you may encounter) so I always carry -

Whistle - (mountain safety type (no pea to lose) torches and phones can fail);
Emergency plastic bivvy bag - bright orange or olive - your choice - multi uses;
8 hour cyalume (chemical glow) sticks - local light for you or a location marker for you/your camp/your kit etc. (keeps working if you can't!)
Water filter and puritabs - on a three day outing I can go through 6 litres of H20 and I ain't gonna carry that weight so mother nature provides - sometimes from a non running source.:)

I am definitely going to buy a whistle and some puritabs. Regarding the emergency plastic bivy bag, do you think my emergency blanket will do the trick?

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Hello again Carolinitza,

I assume that by emergency blanket you mean the foil type (see image). Nothing wrong with those, I carry one too in a compact survival kit, but I have had the 'pleasure' of spending the night out with both those and an emergency bivvy bag (see orange and green ones in images) and my money is on the bag every time.

IMHO the bag is more effective, stronger and more versatile than the blanket, although I do also see the blanket as an emergency signalling asset in some circumstances too.

I have also tested the bags and blankets as an emergency 'sleeping' bag; an improvised shelter (see image); a rain water collector, an improvised smock, an improvised shelter materials collections sack etc and the bags take more punishment and are able to be anchored more robustly. (I've even 'tobogganed' down a snowy mountainside in one - in the interests of emergency exit research you understand!! :lmao:)

I frequently use one of the olive bags filled with fern as an improvised mattress for extra insulation beneath my insulation matt/bivvy. (Would you believe that I posted on the site on that subject earlier today after spending last night outdoors - coincidence or what?!!)

The bags are slightly bigger and heavier than the blankets (only cms and grams though) but they pack away really easily in your ruck.

I'm not sure what your experience level is and it sounds as though you are already getting out there and 'getting stuck' in but since you've posed the question I assume you welcome pointers - so here is a test to apply to your kit selection (like eblankets/ebags) -

Each time that you go out -set up your shelter site and then ask yourself - what-if?
What-if I tore my tarp?
What-if I lost ............?
What-if I ran out of.......?
What-if I broke....?

Then remove the questioned item and see what you have with you or around you to improvise with - then do it.

Then think about how many uses the items that you carry with you have beyond their primary purpose -

Not only is it a useful exercise to improve your kit selection choices but it also forces you to extend your thought processes and develops your self reliance skill set. (And above all it can be a good laugh if you go out with companions and do the exercise to each other!).

Hope this helps. :)

Space Blanket.jpg Ebagsx2.jpg EbagRidge.jpg EbagKnot.jpg

May 11, 2016
Sweden
Hello again Carolinitza,

I assume that by emergency blanket you mean the foil type (see image). Nothing wrong with those, I carry one too in a compact survival kit, but I have had the 'pleasure' of spending the night out with both those and an emergency bivvy bag (see orange and green ones in images) and my money is on the bag every time.

IMHO the bag is more effective, stronger and more versatile than the blanket, although I do also see the blanket as an emergency signalling asset in some circumstances too.

I have also tested the bags and blankets as an emergency 'sleeping' bag; an improvised shelter (see image); a rain water collector, an improvised smock, an improvised shelter materials collections sack etc and the bags take more punishment and are able to be anchored more robustly. (I've even 'tobogganed' down a snowy mountainside in one - in the interests of emergency exit research you understand!! :lmao:)

I frequently use one of the olive bags filled with fern as an improvised mattress for extra insulation beneath my insulation matt/bivvy. (Would you believe that I posted on the site on that subject earlier today after spending last night outdoors - coincidence or what?!!)

The bags are slightly bigger and heavier than the blankets (only cms and grams though) but they pack away really easily in your ruck.

I'm not sure what your experience level is and it sounds as though you are already getting out there and 'getting stuck' in but since you've posed the question I assume you welcome pointers - so here is a test to apply to your kit selection (like eblankets/ebags) -

Each time that you go out -set up your shelter site and then ask yourself - what-if?
What-if I tore my tarp?
What-if I lost ............?
What-if I ran out of.......?
What-if I broke....?

Then remove the questioned item and see what you have with you or around you to improvise with - then do it.

Then think about how many uses the items that you carry with you have beyond their primary purpose -

Not only is it a useful exercise to improve your kit selection choices but it also forces you to extend your thought processes and develops your self reliance skill set. (And above all it can be a good laugh if you go out with companions and do the exercise to each other!).

Hope this helps. :)

View attachment 41965 View attachment 41966 View attachment 41967 View attachment 41968

Wow, great read! Well, you convinced me that I need a Bivvy.
I'm also now very inspired to get out there and try it practically rather than just think about it theoretically. The questions you posted are great for me as a beginner to think about. Gives me the right mindset when too inexperienced to know any better :)
And regarding my experience level your quite right. I've been camping a lot but only during great conditions with all possible facilities to ensure a great trip. So of course I know about freezing a whole night or being wet for two days because of bad planing (or stupidity) but not in the way of a real emergency or survival, which I'm very interested in learning. Only the last year or so I started thinking more from a survival point of view and realized I know nothing, but I plan to change that :)
Thank you so much for taking the time!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Hi everyone,

Tin with charred cloth

Lighter

Fishing utilities, hooks, line, bobber

Swedish mess kit

Large First Aid Kit
1 field flora
Notebook
Pen
Bandana
Wool blanket
Tarp
550 paracord, 15 meters
Map over my area

Compass

I made an adjustment to your list.

I and son did a two day walk to and in a fjord valley on Moskenesøya in early August.
Tarp, sleeping bags, blow up underlays, knives, paracord, lighters, Optimus alcohol burner and pans, Alcohol fuel, bar of chockolate, ground coffee ( Mollbergs Blandning of course) a pack of Wasa crackerbread, 100ml oil, pepper.
Some plasters.
Map.
Fishing rods, a couple of lures and hooks.

We knew we could find food there.

I had a Fjälkräven Kånken the larger version and son a small backpack.

I also had a collapsible aluminium walking stick as my knee is finished. Worked as a central support for the tarp.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE