Any smokers out there?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
There, since that got your attention, I figured I'd pose a question to the masses:

Does anyone know anything about the Imco Super Triplex lighter?

I've always relied on "old faithful" my Zippo, and I always take it climbing with me. (Okay, in all fairness, Hillary smoked on Everest, so it CAN be done :p) and on more than one occasion, if it wasn't for my Zippo, I'd never get my stove going as those stupid BIC lighters never work when it's cold.

Anyway, I'm thinking of ordering an Imco for myself, but I'm still unsure about them, they look a little "tinny" if you know what I mean. The thing that struck me about them was that I could pull out the lit fuel chamber to work on a campfire, and that the lid looked like it seals the fuel a bit better than my Zippo, which I have to re-fuel every few days. So are they any good? Does the fuel last any longer than it would in a Zippo? Is the windscreen useful? Or are they just really cheap and I shouldn't bother?

Thanks guys,

Adam

PS: I figured I'd post this on here instead of Firecraft as I see lighters as kit. Feel free to move this to firecraft if you guys see fit.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
My dad used to have one of those!
He used it daily and it felt good and solid, don't recall him having to fill it as often as a zippo, but I haven't used one myself, apart from the odd unauthorised loan when I was a kid. :D

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I've used them on and off for years they are a great lighter. You even have a space inside above the spring to store a spare flint.One tip though never be tempted to use the extra long flints in them it strains the spring making them useless for standard flints afterwards they slip after using just half a normal one.The other thing they work as well with regular cheap petrol unlike a zippo so are cheaper to run.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Yeah, I think I'll order one later tonite, or tomorrow morning.

It's funny how Zippo's can be finicky with their owners. I've ran mine off of Coleman camp gas, meths, diesel, car gasoline and a friend of mine tried high-proof vodka in his lieu of Zippo fluid. Mind you, when I use the above as opposed to the recommended fluid, I end up having to change my wick every six months, so I don't recommend it, unless it's an emergency.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Cheers,

Adam

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Top Tip : Don't use Brut as a fuel , it burns well but gives your smoke an awfull taste !!
It may sound obvious but one of the lads in cadets did this !!!!
Pumbaa

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I have saw them but not used them.

I am a proud and happy owner of a little more than one zippo.
Heres a few tips for you too
Carry upto thirty spare flints in a thin drinks straw, wrapped with upto five spare wicks.
The flints can be used to ignite ordinary cotton wool if you spend a few hours learning the technique. The wicks can double as a candle wick for most fats and oils etc.

You can even fit a razor blade inside a zippo.

Can't argue with that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE