Any SAK aficionados out there? Help please identifying a Swiss Army knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Once upon a time I had a great SAK, but I'm blowed if I can remember the name of it. It was approx the size of a Spartan but it was unusual in that it had a locking blade. Unlike modern SAK lockers this one had a metal push tab to unlock blade mounted on an edge of knife (near folded main blade if memory serves). All the modern SAK locking models seem to be the larger size, with a sliding plastic unlock button and for me they're just too big to put in your pocket and forget. The beauty of the one I'm trying to describe above is that its the 'standard' SAK size, but with an excellent locking mechanism.

If I can find the name of it finding one will be a lot easier obviously.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Got it!

was it like this?
http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?144260-Wenger-amp-Swiss-Army-folders

0db0c78f.jpg

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
EarthtoSimon, can't tell from that pic if thats one of the larger Victorinox SAK's - The one I'm looking for is the same size as a 'standard' SAK (i.e. Spartan or Tinker) model.

I have a SAK Skipper/Helmsman which locks but for me its just too big for an EDC.

EarthToSimon

Forager
Feb 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
EarthtoSimon, can't tell from that pic if thats one of the larger Victorinox SAK's - The one I'm looking for is the same size as a 'standard' SAK (i.e. Spartan or Tinker) model.

I have a SAK Skipper/Helmsman which locks but for me its just too big for an EDC.

They both have 110mm blades. The slide lock link (top one) only mentions larger ones.
Not sure if they make smaller lockers.

EDCs can't be locking anyway. Slip joints only sadly.

Sorry misread. Thought you meant legal EDC.

Last edited:

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
not too fussed about legality really. Thats one of the reasons I like the smaller locking Wenger knives - not so scary looking to your local friendly bobby!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Once upon a time I had a great SAK, but I'm blowed if I can remember the name of it. It was approx the size of a Spartan but it was unusual in that it had a locking blade. Unlike modern SAK lockers this one had a metal push tab to unlock blade mounted on an edge of knife (near folded main blade if memory serves). ... The beauty of the one I'm trying to describe above is that its the 'standard' SAK size, but with an excellent locking mechanism.

Do you mean this one?

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/v4129933.jpg
http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/v4129935.jpg
http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/v4129938.jpg
http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/v4129939.jpg

It's an old Wenger Picnic. This one is the wife's, she bought it at least 20 years ago when we lived in Plymouth.

It's been discontinued for a very long time, which I think is a shame. It's still her all-time favourite.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Thats it Ged! Such a nice knife and I miss mine. Will start the search now I know what its called. For some reason the newer Wenger ones, whilst having same features and size, are just not as nice looking to me with the sculpted handle and all that.

Thanks a lot anyway, will start looking for a 2nd hand one.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Thats it Ged! Such a nice knife and I miss mine. Will start the search now I know what its called.

I thought I recognized your description. :)

Actually the wife now tells me that she thinks its full name was the "Picnic Lock". Apparently they also did one like it but without the lock. The big flat screwdriver blade also locks, when you press it against something it moves back in the scales against a spring to lock.

For some reason the newer Wenger ones, whilst having same features and size, are just not as nice looking to me with the sculpted handle and all that.

Thanks a lot anyway, will start looking for a 2nd hand one.

I agree about the looks but I wouldn't necessarily give up on the newer ones. SWMBO bought me a Vic Soldier for Christmas and I'm getting on really well with it. The soft, sculpted scales are quite a bit different to handle. It really isn't the tough nut that you'd expect from the name, you couldn't easily take the tracks off a tank with it, but I think it's a great bit of kit. I have large hands so the bigger size suits me well and I think whoever designed it must have been left handed like me, I really like the way it's set up. At the moment I mostly use it for cutting up mountains of cling-film wrapping on pallets of stuff at work and for that job it's the tool I've been waiting years for. It isn't great for splitting kindling though, which is a bit of a disappointment. It has a liner lock which isn't my favourite. One other thing I like is having a cross-point screwdriver instead of a corkscrew. :)

We have a couple of the other larger ones in places like (oddly enough) the picnic basket in the back of the car. I think they're better for food prep than the smaller models.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Agree on the food prep thing Ged, my larger SAK actually lives in my kitchen - really nice blade for chopping onions and the like. Perhaps I will try one of the new wengers then, chances of finding a rare-at-the-time older one are slim I reckon.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
not too fussed about legality really. Thats one of the reasons I like the smaller locking Wenger knives - not so scary looking to your local friendly bobby!

Makes no odds if you have it as an EDC, locking knives are illegal in such a scenario.

fredster

Forager
Oct 16, 2009
Ipswich, Suffolk
Indeed. Well aware of it. In 30 years of carrying a pocket knife pretty much everyday, I have never once been asked to turn out my pockets. I'm a middle-aged guy living in rural suffolk; strip-searches are pretty rare in my life!

I take your point though. What I meant about not being fussed about legality is that I'm aware lockers are illegal, but I'm prepared to take that chance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE