Any physios out there?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Manage to pick up an elbow injury, tennis elbow or Lateral Epicondylitis

Its driving me nuts as all my bow building, shooting, leather work is painful. Has been about a month so far and I have tried to take it easy but getting no-where.

Any exercises or advice appreciated.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
In the same boat mate and not the first time! The first episode got really bad, I could hardly pick up a mug of tea, ended up with a hydrocortisone injection which did help in the end. 2nd was during our cottage renovation, the advice was to rest my arm and hand for 3 months. Obviously that was a no go so I just had to work through it. Recently It's flared up again, bloody agony at times.

Total rest seems to be the way forward, not easy when jobs need to be done and a crust to be earned. I have got an adjustable strap/brace that goes just below the elbow, it does seem to help me when I'm working.

Anti inflamatries such as Ibroprofen can help (don't like taking pills but needs must!) it's not a case of just taking them when it's bad, you need to take them regularly. I've got some from the Doc's on perscription and they have helped.

There are some exercise's the Physio gave me, can't really say they've helped but maybe in conjunction with the tablets it has? The other thing is an ice pack.

The plus side is apparently it's self limiting, as in it eventually gets better, in most cases, in around a year?

I'd go and see your local GP or Physio if you can and see what advice they give.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Had a friend of a friend who was a sports injury physio and she used to look after my knee (skiing/motorbike injury long story!) she used a TENS machine and then massage it to warm it then use this stuff I'm sure was called 'Blue Ice' it was a gel that when put on its hard to describe but it's like a menthol cold feeling that went right into the knee, kept my knee feeling great for ages.
Not sure where you would get the gel from maybe a physio suppliers but I can thoroughly recommend it.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
In the same boat mate and not the first time! The first episode got really bad, I could hardly pick up a mug of tea, ended up with a hydrocortisone injection which did help in the end. 2nd was during our cottage renovation, the advice was to rest my arm and hand for 3 months. Obviously that was a no go so I just had to work through it. Recently It's flared up again, bloody agony at times.

Total rest seems to be the way forward, not easy when jobs need to be done and a crust to be earned. I have got an adjustable strap/brace that goes just below the elbow, it does seem to help me when I'm working.

Anti inflamatries such as Ibroprofen can help (don't like taking pills but needs must!) it's not a case of just taking them when it's bad, you need to take them regularly. I've got some from the Doc's on perscription and they have helped.

There are some exercise's the Physio gave me, can't really say they've helped but maybe in conjunction with the tablets it has? The other thing is an ice pack.

The plus side is apparently it's self limiting, as in it eventually gets better, in most cases, in around a year?

I'd go and see your local GP or Physio if you can and see what advice they give.

Its even worse than not being able to pickup a cup of tea! I cant pickup a pint of beer! ;)

Had an appointment with my GP who said rest and take anti inflammatory pills and see how it goes. Booked another appointment later this week to se if i can get any physio.
Taking a year to heal is a bit depressing but thanks for your honesty. Do these strap things work well? I can see if it takes the load of the tendon then it may help?
Shame as I was just starting to build up to war-bow weights before this and I am pretty sure it was something silly that caused the pop. Taking down a log from a bench one handed that was way to heavy. That and probably picking up my little lad one handed 20 times a day didnt help.

Guess its leather work only for a few more months and get a large mate around to break in my heavy bows for me. Problem is there is no substitute for drawing a bow by hand your self to know if its right or not, no amount of drawing on a tiller machine can give you that.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Had a friend of a friend who was a sports injury physio and she used to look after my knee (skiing/motorbike injury long story!) she used a TENS machine and then massage it to warm it then use this stuff I'm sure was called 'Blue Ice' it was a gel that when put on its hard to describe but it's like a menthol cold feeling that went right into the knee, kept my knee feeling great for ages.
Not sure where you would get the gel from maybe a physio suppliers but I can thoroughly recommend it.

I keep hearing about ice and heat helping but I must look into the TENS machine too thanks.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Anti inflammatorys with meals so three times a day, and paracetamol in between should cover the pain. You can use the anti inflammatory gel on the area at the same time as it is a topical.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You have my sympathy chap. Have a chat with your GP and he or she might write you up for indomethacin which I've found to be the best. If your on it or the likes of Ibuprofen for a while you need to take something like Omeprazole to protect your stomach.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Hi mate I'm a sports therapist,
Keep moving the area to build up the synovial fluid in the joint, this will help you gain mobility.

Then try doing some contrast bathing on the area. Follow this

Warm water for 10 minutes
Cold water for 1 minute
Warm water for 4 minutes
Cold water for 1 minute
Warm water for 4 minutes
Cold water for 1 minute
Warm water for 4 minutes
Cold water for 1 minute
Warm water for 4 minutes
Continue for a total of 30 min

Try this daily and see how it goes, the truth is if it's a connective tissue or bone/joint injury it's going to take some resting, weeks,months or in some cases years depending how bad it is.

Good luck hope you feel better soon

Mb

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
She explained it thus warm it first to make it supple and basically take any stiffness out if the joint the the blue ice gel then reduces swelling which sort of makes sense when a lot of sports people take ice baths too help then recover.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Or I should finish up the feathers for you to make arrows instead of bows....

Sounds like a plan ;) Shame you are not close enough to come round and pull these bows for me.

Two years now with bicep tendinitis! It's a bit wearing at times!

Thanks for the horror story ;) hope you heal soon,

Hi mate I'm a sports therapist,
Keep moving the area to build up the synovial fluid in the joint, this will help you gain mobility.

Then try doing some contrast bathing on the area. Follow this

Warm water for 10 minutes
Cold water for 1 minute
Warm water for 4 minutes
Cold water for 1 minute
Warm water for 4 minutes
Cold water for 1 minute
Warm water for 4 minutes
Cold water for 1 minute
Warm water for 4 minutes
Continue for a total of 30 min

Try this daily and see how it goes, the truth is if it's a connective tissue or bone/joint injury it's going to take some resting, weeks,months or in some cases years depending how bad it is.

Good luck hope you feel better soon

Mb

Thanks will give that a shot. Dont mind putting the time in to speed things up. Leather work seems to be half way to resting and keeping it moving.
Are these various straps and bandage grips worth a try?

She explained it thus warm it first to make it supple and basically take any stiffness out if the joint the the blue ice gel then reduces swelling which sort of makes sense when a lot of sports people take ice baths too help then recover.

Thanks will try it all.

Diving Duck

Oct 2, 2013
South Wales
I had the same three years ago, went to a Chinese acupuncturist, he sorted it after several sessions {a bet on David Haye knocking out Harrison in the third round paid a large part] now I have it again in the other arm, Monday had a Steroid injection, so far so good.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I've had elbow tendonitis a couple times in the past - takes a while to heal

wrt the elbow strap - the key here is to use it _before_ getting the inflamation - it helps keep the elbow from getting inflamed - useit anytime you are doing a repetitive motion - in my case I got the pain from hand sawing wood but once I started using the strap before doing the work I have not had the problem since

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE