Any one know where i can get Tracking supplies in the uk?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Anything in particular you're looking for ?

I would have thought you could pick up most of what he needs in hunting stores, afterall it's pretty much the same thing but without taking the shot at the end.

leon-1

Have a look on amazon for these or you should be able to order from WHSmith, Waterstones, Ottakars or Dillons if they haven't got them in stock with the ISBN numbers and details.

Books for identification of prints include;

Animals: tracks, trails and signs. ISBN 978-0-7537-0955-9 Hamlyn books by ; R.W.Brown, M.J.Lawrence and J.Pope. £12.99.

Animal Tracks and Signs. ISBN 0-19-850796-8 Oxford University Press by; Preben Bang and Preben Dahlstrom

Kit.

Look out for a fresnel lens with a ruler on it. They can be used for looking at finer detail of a print and giving the scale of the print. Places like Waterstones have them quite frequently or you could get one here

Tracking sticks can be made by the individual. All you need are some castration rings, a ferrule and some time.

Green light torches for night tracking along the lines of the Inova X5. can be purchased here

bigant

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2009
Stoke on trent
ty for replys :) ordered the *animal tracks and signs* book that uncle ray has on his website have taught her what i can but i am no expert. just want to put a decent kit together for her so we can go wander after xmas. am looking for Tracking cards atm you know the laminated cards with tracks and stuff on them so easy to just pull one out for easy reference easier than getting the book out and alot more water-proof :) slowly introducing her to bushcraftyness as well shes enjoying it ^^ hope to be able to get along to the bushmoot next year and get her to tag along.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've just got mine out to have a look - it folds out to 6 pages in a concertina, so is 12 sides in total. I really like them; they take up very little space and are laminated too.

I also have Woodland Plants (8 sides) and The Tree Name trail (12 sides).

timboggle

Nomad
Nov 1, 2008
Hereford, UK

These are a must and what I've advised people to use in the past,

Bigant, Whenever you go out - take a camera, pencils (including coloured) and pad mate, even a small measure tape/rule, take pictures, log them, do sketches, put your own resource and logs together, listing seasons, weather conditions, ground conditions, scales, map grid locations, you'll have a ton of fun and end up with a brilliant resource all of your making mate.

Speak to people who run tracking courses professionally like Woody, Rhoda, and Geoffery, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help

Animal Tracks and Signs. ISBN 0-19-850796-8 Oxford University Press by; Preben Bang and Preben Dahlstrom - is a classic and a must have book

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
ty for replys :) ordered the *animal tracks and signs* book that uncle ray has on his website have taught her what i can but i am no expert. just want to put a decent kit together for her so we can go wander after xmas. am looking for Tracking cards atm you know the laminated cards with tracks and stuff on them so easy to just pull one out for easy reference easier than getting the book out and alot more water-proof :) slowly introducing her to bushcraftyness as well shes enjoying it ^^ hope to be able to get along to the bushmoot next year and get her to tag along.

Top tip: Trace around the prints in the book in permanent felt tip on a laminated sheet and cut it out. You can place the transparency over the print in the field to compare shape and size more effectively.

2nd top tip: Save up and go on a course. You will learn more in 3 days than any book will teach you in as many years.

Good luck.

Pablo.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
The bandana on the website with tracks on it looks a cool pressie if only it were British mammals - some enterprising company out there...?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
May not be helpfull but I saw a couple of books either in Borders or an RSPB (wash out my mouth) shop on A) identifying birds species by their poo - I thought that one actually usefull, and B) identifing what sort of bug it was that splattered into your windscreen - funny but seriously researched seemingly as a while later the prof was interviewed on Radio 4.

GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE