Any Leather pocket knife sheath makers out there?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Just wondering if any of our makers turn their hand at making pocket knife sheaths, I'm looking for something to carry a small buck knife on my belt

I quite like this design and I was thinking about giving it a go myself but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how I would cleanly cut out the belt loops? Failing that anyone out there interested in a commission?

View attachment 44733

Last edited:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Just give it a go! You never know, you might find a new hobby (like we don't have enough on here). Leather work is great therapy and, when you are still using a piece you made, 12 years latter, you still get a nice, warm feeling.
I made a sheath for my leatherman, and i still wear it on my belt at work every day. It was my first piece and was tricky, but so worth it.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I've dabbled in the past just wanted a heads start in the only bit I couln't get my head round

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I can do it for you mate. You need to taper the ends in quite a bit to make these pancake sheaths comfortable. Otherwise they just never sit right.
What's the knife you need it for? I might even have one here to work from.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Hole punch on the ends and straight cuts to join?

Correct If you don't have access to a crew punch of right dimensions.

Just ensure you cut from each punch hole and meet in the middle. Lots of burnishing will be required after a tidy up with a rolled peice of production paper. The amount will depend on how well executed your cuts are!

K

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I can do it for you mate. You need to taper the ends in quite a bit to make these pancake sheaths comfortable. Otherwise they just never sit right.
What's the knife you need it for? I might even have one here to work from.

that's the rub I was hoping I could get away with something that could carry several different knives of a similar size

if slightly different lengths - I have a GEC Bullnose a Buck 55 and a Buck 302 solitaire I'd like to be able to carry at different times

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I don't have any of those, but of you don't decide to try yourslef I'd be able to work from measurements for a folder sheath like this. I would strongly suggest adding a flap over the top on this to keep them secure, since the friction fit alone wouldn't be tight enough to keep them secure if switching between knives.

that's the rub I was hoping I could get away with something that could carry several different knives of a similar size

if slightly different lengths - I have a GEC Bullnose a Buck 55 and a Buck 302 solitaire I'd like to be able to carry at different times

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I don't have any of those, but of you don't decide to try yourslef I'd be able to work from measurements for a folder sheath like this. I would strongly suggest adding a flap over the top on this to keep them secure, since the friction fit alone wouldn't be tight enough to keep them secure if switching between knives.

That's a fair point on switching knives, maybe I'll stick to the one to avoid a flap

I really want as low a profile as possible

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
You need to taper the ends in quite a bit to make these pancake sheaths comfortable.

How do you mean taper the ends? What ends? Taper how?

Sorry if they're dim questions, but I'm not visualising your advice and I'd quite like to make one of these.

Many thanks

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
So I've gone completely down a different track now

part of my need was something low profile and unobtrusive

so I'm actually thinking something like this might suit my needs better - particularly as the folded length of the array of knives I seem to be carrying is similar at 3.25" but the depths and widths vary

View attachment 44821

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
This is my pocket knife sheath, it rides side lay on my belt. Its out of sight out of mind.

IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

Cheers
Topknot

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Sorry for the delay in replying to you guys. I've been flat out busy at a biker festival wih My leather stall since thursday.

Basically, the teo parts of the sheath that will end up under the belt I skive and taper down to be slimmer so the sheath sits flatter and os more comfortable. You get less printing this way too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE