Any ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Sat outside and noticed a small wasp type insect fly into a hole on the side of the bricks around my door
The holes are where it had wooden dowels in for screws
These holes are about 2" deep and the wasp was filling the hole with small segments of leaves
Over the next few days it has filled three of the holes
I have picked out a few leaves to see what is in there
Could it have laid an egg and the leaves are for cover and food when it hatches
Any experts out there who know about this as I have not seen this before
Mick
IMG]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q209/MWGurmin/P1020092.jpg[/IMG]
P1020092.jpg

Last edited:

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Last edited:

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
The holes they are using are only drill holes and to small for a nest
The wall has been striped of the spar as it was put on by cowboys and was hollow underneath
Waiting to get some prices for new rendering and pebble dashing where they use the mesh to bond it

mattweasel

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2010
hertfordshire england
I've got the same thing in my garden. I first saw them a couple of years ago, flying out of the brickwork then flying to a bush next door and returning to the hole over and over again.
There's another one this year doing the same thing. I think it is a solitary bee called a leafcutter. Hope this helps.
Matt

Waiting to get some prices for new rendering and pebble dashing where they use the mesh to bond it

In most of the South West pebble dashing is out dated and partly joked about (in many peoples' opinions). If the wall isn't part of some major structural use, why not leave the holes (or even make more of them) and encourage wildlife into your garden.

I even ask clients to let me leave large enough spaces in stone work that will house the beginings of an avian family.......hc

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
i dont know why anyone should joke about pebble dashing your property to prevent water damage or think pebble dashing is out dated
My property was renovated 30 years ago by a local council grant by the previous owner and the work was done by a cowboy who knocked 2 windows into the back of the property he made the holes so large he had to fill in with concrete blocks and covered the back with spar to hide the work
When I purchased the property the spar was so lose I had to remove it and the first few feet revealed the same stone work as the front of the property so i wanted to repoint it as it is the old morter and leave the stone work exposed
But when I removed the spar from the window area I found large amounts of blocks had been inserted to fill in
There is no way of just repointing now so the wall has to be recovered and in this area large amouns of houses are being covered with a new maerial with a fine mesh in between and then golden pea pebbles thrown on
Mick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE