Any ideas what i can make from antler ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have some pieces of antler left i have made whistles ,firesteel handles ,buttons ,lanyard rings .What do you use it for ? apart from knife handles .

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Washers is the best description. Basically like brass rings that are used in fastners etc

Also have a look at the various posts Wayland did of Sami work... lots of inspiration there :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
How about jewlery, I recently started making bits from beach glass using my wifes kit, quite good fun and good practise in finishing variose surfaces and small wire work, bends twists and turns.

Woodlark

Oct 18, 2006
Surrey, UK
I know a lady who spins wool and knits garments - she loves to use antler disc buttons!!! It's just a question of cutting into disc and drilling 2 little holes (ie hard work for little return - but very satisfying!)

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
If you have any decent lengths (about 200 mm or thereabouts), you could try making a fishing priest. I have one which tapers to the natural point at one end (the handle) and at the wider end a 10 mm diameter hole has been drilled and filled with a bismuth bar. The wider end has then been capped with a nice piece of hardwood, but you could use brass or another piece of polished antler.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
If you have any decent lengths (about 200 mm or thereabouts), you could try making a fishing priest. I have one which tapers to the natural point at one end (the handle) and at the wider end a 10 mm diameter hole has been drilled and filled with a bismuth bar. The wider end has then been capped with a nice piece of hardwood, but you could use brass or another piece of polished antler.

I like that idea.

I was wondering whether you could make a nut-cracker from antler given that it'll soon creep up to that time of year again to go picking?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE