Any guesses

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
While away at Morches I came across these tracks down by the stream my guess would be a mink. What dose every one else think ?

040.jpg

cheers Russ

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
Too big for mink IMHO. But too small for badger, and a little too long too...badgers tend to be fatter prints than that.

The lower one is fox forepaw print. The upper one is a little less clear but my money would be on the foxs rear paw.

Hard to see on this pic but the telling difference would be the number of toes in this case - I think there are 4 there.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Just does not look "foxy" to me..... seems to narrow at the back of the print.. if you see what I mean

It does look like an extra toe in your photo

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`d say Otter but it`s hard to say from that picture for some reason. The coin`s there for scale and the prints are pretty damn clear but I just can`t put my finger on it.

Otter .. no ... Weasel .... no ... Pine Martin

Otter

Don`t know

Rich

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I saw the tracks, like little long hands. I too thought Mink or maybe stoat.
I think I need a new tracking guide, the Hamlyn one I have, just isn't clear enough for someone who doean't do very much of it.

cheers,
Toddy

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
They are too small to be otter. Otters are surprisingly large animals, wrong shape for fox and badger.Also there are 5 toes and fox only show 4. I hate trying to id tracks from photos, it is just so difficult because you can't tell if the ground is really soft making the tracks bigger than the foot that made them etc...
It certainly looks to be stoat shaped to me, mink tend to look more star shaped with the toes splayed a bit wider than in your photo.
Not 100% sure but I'd say stoat. Are there pine martens where you were? I've never seen a pine marten track but that could be another possibility.... In fact sorry if I'm being a bit thick but where is Morches? It would be easier to narrow it down if I know what species are present there.
I'd need to look for feeding signs/scat etc to be certain, like I said photos are really hard to id!
Have I decided yet? Oh yeah I'm going for stoat, but I could be wrong...aaaargh! :lmao:

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
I figured that you'd be along soon enough Rhoda! ;-)

We couldn't figure out if there were 5 toes or 4. The ground wasn't too soft as it was made up of coarse grit so whatever made them had some weight to it.

No other signs that we saw but then I reckon you would have spotted loads.

Location was SW Scotland on the A76 between Dumfries and Ayr.

Mark.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Ok I'll stick with my first guess although they are quite large for stoat. Happy for someone to prove me wrong though....shame Angie is away, she likes stoats and weasles and would probably be able to tell straight away :D

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I saw a stoat in the wood about 60m away, if that helps any. :)

Did occur to me though that it's still the right time of the year for juvenile otters.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
The trouble is, I would have thought a stoat, in fact all of these animal would have noticed dropping a pound coin! Baffled!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Hooray! Stoat then...

....or it may have been a weasel:D. I've never seen either before.
What I saw wasn't a mink, ferret or pine martin, those I'd have known, and it didn't lay down those tracks(they're too big). It had a young vibe to it and was only about the length of a mink(and thinner). Light grey and ran a bit like a squirrel with slightly longer bounds.

For the track I'm going to go with a young otter. I've seen family groups twice, both around this time of year, and the cubs have been about two-thirds the size of the parents and their paws a good bit slimmer.

....but could just as easily be one of the parents of the wee grey whatever-it-was.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Having looked at my books,I'd say stoat.

There are Pine Marten in areas of D&G I've been told,(fyi).
Unfortunately I haven't seen any yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE