Any good?

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
How about making the holding spikes so that the centre hole is slightly off angle to the centre pole? when the spikes are pushed into the meat and made perpendicular to the centre pole, edges of the centre hole 'bite' into the centre pole?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Superb Nic - superb.

Not how I would have done a locking mechanism but a very elegant solution.

..I wonder if I've any square bar in the garage?? *strokes beard*
Andy

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
How about making the holding spikes so that the centre hole is slightly off angle to the centre pole? when the spikes are pushed into the meat and made perpendicular to the centre pole, edges of the centre hole 'bite' into the centre pole?

Thats well worth a try, it sounds like it will work and involves no extra parts to be made up. Cool!

Nic

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
An update- tested the spit out at the Wilderness gathering and Westonbirt/ Treefest. A hard job, but someone had to do it.

I used hazel forks as it was cooked over my forge. even with the legs off it is still quite high of the ground. I improvised a locking mechanism in wood, but it wasn't needed the squares located well enough to hold in 4 different positions. no problems with the forks coming out either. It took over 2 hours over a low wood fire, wanted to be sure as the chicken ( originally frozen) had been in a coolbox for 4 days. sprinkled with salt and basted with butter. We breed and eat our own chickens and I have always thought these were the best flavour that you could get. The spit roast transformed a supermarket bird to beat these.

roastchicken.jpg

Still got a few left- may up in maker sales in a bit.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
'scuse the pun but that looks top notch mate! My mouth's actually watering.

About Stew's jamming the tines on the cetral pole idea. Do you mean like the way a mastic gun works? If so that's a very clever idea!

Also that mechanism for locking the spit into the V is inspired, well done!!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
An update- tested the spit out at the Wilderness gathering and Westonbirt/ Treefest. A hard job, but someone had to do it.

I used hazel forks as it was cooked over my forge. even with the legs off it is still quite high of the ground. I improvised a locking mechanism in wood, but it wasn't needed the squares located well enough to hold in 4 different positions. no problems with the forks coming out either. It took over 2 hours over a low wood fire, wanted to be sure as the chicken ( originally frozen) had been in a coolbox for 4 days. sprinkled with salt and basted with butter. We breed and eat our own chickens and I have always thought these were the best flavour that you could get. The spit roast transformed a supermarket bird to beat these.

roastchicken.jpg

Still got a few left- may up in maker sales in a bit.

I now know how I know you. Westonbirt. Lovely stuff on your row.

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
About Stew's jamming the tines on the cetral pole idea. Do you mean like the way a mastic gun works? If so that's a very clever idea!

Thats what I understood. Didn't have to do it but I guess it would work, the tines are a pretty good fit and have to be held dead straight if they are going to slide.

Likewise the locking mechanism wasn't needed in this instance, but as all the components are interchangable it is easy to make up different versions of the spit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE