Bush Lighters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have a windmill and a Silva. Both are, quite frankly, rubbish. The lids are flimsy, the catches fidly, the lighting no better than most. The lighter in my pocket is a £3 cheapy. The windmill and Silva sit unused in the drawer. Wish I'd saved my money - or bought basic Bic lighters

Red

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Fires in -6 C, with slightly damp tinder, in a gale !! It sure beats messing about with a firesteel i can tell ya, more so when i wake up cold and want a brew :rolleyes:

So true my man. I've had the Silva, it broke (as did at least one other forum members Silva). I have a zippo, can be awkward to use with some of my stoves, so these little turbo lighters are a good solution plus they are cheap enough to buy several and carry a couple

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I used to have fun with the blue flame. Heck it had to be good - reccommended by Ray Mears. It lasted more like 4 or 5 years rather than 3 come to think of it and Im not just saying that. Used to burn through the perspecs bus shelter screens like nothing :lmao: I gaave it a bit of a hard life though...what when chocolate bars melted in my pocket...many times.

I carry an old zippo just about everywhere i go. It's no real hardship, i check it regularly to make sure its fuelled. At least once a week. I can pick up a cheapy bic for the fire tin if i need one. About 10 of them for a quid in poundland or the like.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I got a blueflame from Woodlore some years ago n it seems to be on its last leg. The flame barely stands. Dunno if the fuel injection is clogged or somthin but its been workin fine for the past 3 years with the acception of a single fault in the flame ages ago that fixed itself. Makes me think its time to get a new windproof lighter, but Id like to try a different brand or model.

Incase it helps, I'l be using it for lighting fires and cigarettes, in quite possibly dire weather.

Before thinking about purchasing another, has anyone else had similar problems with their blue flame pocket torch?

The blue flame pocket torch I currently have, although I beleive its busted:
http://www.raymears.com/Shop_Item/275-Blue-Flame-Pocket-Torch/

What do y'all think of Brunton lighters (example: http://www.toolshop.de/product_info.php?products_id=3277 ) and Windmill lighters (example: http://www.toolshop.de/product_info.php?products_id=2549 )

Any other reccommendations appreciated!

I have had the same problem with my pb-207 before as well.

Have you tried fully depressurising the gas chamber? Apparently it needs doing after refills. I almost threw mine away but it works great now.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
It had about half a gas tanks worth of butane left when it broke, so I filled it up again n it made no difference. When I depress the button halfway I cant hear the gas seeping out as usual n when I depress it fully to spark it produces a really small, weak blue flame that gets blown out in the slightest current of air. A match produces a better than flame than the blue flame does right now :lmao:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I would try emptying it anyway, just to be sure. It'll only waste one tank of gas but may work. It sounds very similar to the problem I had.

Just press the button underneath until nothing else comes out before refilling.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I would try emptying it anyway, just to be sure. It'll only waste one tank of gas but may work. It sounds very similar to the problem I had.

Just press the button underneath until nothing else comes out before refilling.

I know I might be stating the obvious, but are the jets blocked? A good blow of pressurised air might clear it or a clean up around the area with a cotton wool bud.

Pablo.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I know I might be stating the obvious, but are the jets blocked? A good blow of pressurised air might clear it or a clean up around the area with a cotton wool bud.

Pablo.

Yeah it whats a I expected, Iv dropped tonnes of crap down there by accident. I'l give it a go. many thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE