Any Finnish speakers ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Here´s something funny in finnish.

Shall we light the bonfire? The whole bonfire? Yes, the whole bonfire.

Now same in finnish:
Sytytetäänkö kokko? Koko kokkoko? Koko kokko.

And I´m not joking, this is a real sentence in finnish.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Saatana. ( NOT Santana! )
Voi v........ ( I am very prude, so no more of that..)

My Finnish is almost convincing, the pronunciation, after a bit drink.
A very difficult language to speak when you are sober!

I learned a bit Finnish and Sami all those years ago.

I can swear in many languages. Even in Jamaican Patois, which is useful here.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I wandered in Finland and was totally lost!​

Lost in your forest, because it was to wild and tight, and because no sun reached the ground, because the clouds of midges darkened it totally, and because in this times I didn't jet understand Swedish and of course no word Finnish.

After I reached Finland I learned the first day that even the telephone isn't called telephone in Finland, like in the rest of the world. At the telephone box was written something cryptic.

Fortunately two of us spoke perfectly Finish, one was half a Fin and the other crazy enough to learn your language.

The first I met speaking English was after 6 weeks in Finland a young lady in Helsinki.
Unfortunately I was to young and stupid to try it in German, what probably would have been successful with the older generation.

Do you currently learn English or German over there, or do you still speak only Finish and Swedish?

Last edited:

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Compulsory in Sweden too. From age 9 I had it.

The first word I learned was: Dog.
The first sentence: This is a dog.
I was very proud when I came home, having learned the first foreign words, until dad pointed out that I already spoke 2 languages fluently and could get by with a third and fourth.....

The price of being an Euromix.
Still remember the first English lesson, after 50 years!

More young people travel and practice their English, also the sneaky Americanization is progressing steadily, maybe that is the reason more FinnoScandis are more fluent?

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE