Any Christmas Whiskey deals in the shops yet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
That's a cracking list BR, where did you get it if you don't mind me asking? Or is it derived from dedicated personal research ;)

Largest shelf price reduction I've seen this year was on a Dalwhinie 15 yo. at Tesco, down from £32 to £25

I even checked the bottle was the regular size as it seemed such a good deal.

As an aside on the bottled beers tesco has gone up to £6 for 4 bottles but ASDA has put there's down to £5 for 4 bottles, including some very nice ones :). OP, Empire, Champion etc

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
Enjoy :)

I got my two bottles of Old Pulteney yesterday - not moy normal tipple but at £20 a bottle including delivery, I'm sure it'll be very acceptable!

I got mine yesterday too. Not my usual type, I prefer the peaty ones, but it isn't bad at all for £20. The last one I got in that price range I found utterly
bland but this has a reasonable flavour. May get another couple in case I get visitors, so I can keep my Ardbeg for me! ;)

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
The list isn't mine Vandeen - its from a member at Hot UK Deals who have a page covering supermarket special offers on spirits

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lis...l-vodka-rum-whisky-others-winter-2013-1702213

HTH

Thanks for that BR, pressies now sorted :)

I'm personally a bit of a fan of the Irish stuff, with Pot Stilled Red Breast being a personal favourite & Jamiesons as a "cooking" brand, but I've been banned from buying any more till there's some room in the cupboard.

Sounds like an excuse to have a drink to me :)

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Half and half ish. Its a man drink - so we don't use recipes :)

The main thing is to make sure you can taste the alcohol. Anything less becomes alcopop :(

Of course this one gets around the problem by being composed entirely of alcoholic beverages :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
However you like it - certainly cask strength needs water - you can drink it neat but you lose a lot of flavour. Even on the rocks can be nice, although you then need to let it warm in your mouth - the flavours develop more slowly which can be interesting.

Theres no right way, but to someone new to it, I would say try a dash of water.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
I tried water in a whisky with success the other day down at my old mans, can't remember the name of the malt but it didn't half open up some of the flavours to me that had previously been just overpowered.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its worth remembering though that most whisky sold in the shops is "pre-watered" - whisky is generally 58% or so ABV in the cask and usually 40% in the bottle - meaning its 1/3 water (well extra water) compared to the "neat" state. The degree of watering is a factor of

1) The degree of factory dilution
2) The whisky in question
3) Personal taste

At days end - as monkieman says - try a lot of different ways and see what you prefer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE