Any BTCV volunteers out there?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lostdog

Sep 23, 2004
Stirling
I think I've been lingering in the wings for long enough.... Here's my first post!

As someone who has only just begun to wake up to the wonderful world of "Bushcraft" (I actually don't like labelling what to me is not just a set of techniques but more a philosophy or a way of thinking...more posts on this later perhaps :wink: ) I'm beginning to realise that my current job is just not for me.

The first step (as I see it) of my escape route is to start doing some voluntary work for BTCV and I was wondering if any of you guys have done this and what your experiences were?

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Hi Lostdog, and welcome to the forum; pull up a log and join the fireside chat!

I know what you mean about the way of thinking, and I think I know what you mean about current jobs (I work in an office in Central London)...

Can I ask what BTCV is?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
British Trust of Conservation Volunteers. You pay minimal costs and help on conservation projects as a holiday.

My wife did one a while ago and had a good time. You can learn some good stuff but very dependent on the people running the course and the other volunteers with you I think.

Bill

Lostdog

Sep 23, 2004
Stirling
Thanks for the warm welcome Womble.

BTCV's website is http://www.btcv.org/

They are a charity that promotes and carries out all manner of conservation projects from path building, fence building and dry stone wall construction to coppicing woodland, clearing sites of things like japanese knotweed and the like to promote greater diversity of native flora and fauna.

They do courses and I believe they can lead to formal qualifications.

As I see it, it will be something I will greatly enjoy (I like practical manual work in the outdoors/woodlands), it will be something I will learn from, I will meet like-minded individuals and it may lead to a new path in my life. (Hopefully better than the one I am presently walking which sees me working in the "lower ground floor" or dungeon to you or I of an office in central Glasgow).

"I'm a "Bushcrafter" get me out of here!"

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
Wow, that sounds cool, I have moments of "what the hell am i going to do with a geography degree...become a teacher.....aaarrrggghhhh!!!"

Might be time to spend my student loan on something useful like courses.....instead of wasting it in the bar.....like all students do...damn I'm such a stereotype....

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Yeh, I've done some work with the BTCV. I'm suprised that more folk here aren't involved with them ?
There are all sorts of things going on, and for those of us office bound all week, it is a great escape for weekend. You get to be outdoors, do something useful for the environment, get some excersise and meet some new people.
The downside - You spend the first few hours trapped in a minibus heading for a site, get to sleep on the floor in the local church hall with your fellow volunteers snoring and farting all night ( the guy who arrived in his camper van certainly got the best nights sleep), and the food is some times a little unappetizing.
That said, if your into bushcraft, then you don't mind roughing it a bit, and the chances are that you can better prepared than most.
I found it a rewarding experience, and learned alot on the hedge laying and coppicing weekends I attended. The tools supplied I found somewhat blunt, so took my own the next time. A kelly kettle will also make you a lot of friends. :wink:
It is hard graft, especially if you are not used to manual labour. But as I wanted to learn these crafts it was an excellent opportunity for an introduction. There are certainly some highly skilled members among the organization, but alot of amateurs making the best of it.
I do recommend them highly, and support the work they are doing.
Its a brilliant opportunity to give something back, and an ideal activity for us Bushcrafters to help with :biggthump
Cheers
Rich

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
This is a superb thread.

Of course, bushcrafters should think seriously about volunteering. I may do so myself - if the kids let me...

Best wishes

Bruce

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
yup i've done BTCV work also!

i found it more of a way of getting close to nature, some of thge areas we did work were strictly out of bounds to the public!

often we would have to burn rubbish and they always bought potatoes to bake in the fire for free! also tea and biscuits was always on standby!

anyone interested in conservation or wildlife should give it a try but expect hard work and muck!

Lostdog

Sep 23, 2004
Stirling
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
yup i've done BTCV work also!

i found it more of a way of getting close to nature, some of thge areas we did work were strictly out of bounds to the public!

often we would have to burn rubbish and they always bought potatoes to bake in the fire for free! also tea and biscuits was always on standby!

anyone interested in conservation or wildlife should give it a try but expect hard work and muck!

Sounds good. I'm never happier than when I'm up to my oxters in muck (a bit like a pig in s**t I guess), working hard for a tangible goal that actually makes a difference.

I'm definitely going to sign up to some volunteering in the new year.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I found myself with two weeks off after christmas so I have booked myself on a hedgelaying holiday in Devon :) . Any BCUK members on it? I think they have places available if anyone else fancies going.

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I did a couple of weekend courses a few years ago. Great fun, but hard work when you're tied to a desk the rest of the week!

I did hedgelaying along the Curley Wurly canal, the Wyrley and Essington somewhere around Brum. Did my right arm ache at the end of the day!

Then I helped build a kit footbridge over a stream in darkest Lancashire, near Chipping. I did enjoy that one! Plenty of mud and lots of hammering! Great satisfaction seeing the finished bridge.

For the first one we were based in a village hall somewhere near Lichfield and the second was at a camping barn in Chipping.

The snoring and farting described earlier is true! Something to do with the copious amounts of beer drunk in the evenings at the local I expect.

There was a very mixed bunch at each weekend, with ages from early twenties to sixties, all in all a good bunch. A volunteer leader is there as well as an expert. I remember the old countryman who was teaching us the hedge laying, a great old character who'd spent his life outdoors doing things the traditional ways.

I'd highly recommend trying a weekend with BTCV.

Another volunteer thing you might be interested in, especially if you like really thick, gooey mud is the canal restoration maniacs, the Waterways Recovery Group. I've been out with them several times, being a bit of a canal and narrowboat nutter. Now they know how to work and drink! You could be doing anything from digging out derelict locks and canals to hacking down trees and undergrowth.

Go volunteer. A really cheap weekend that'll get you out and about with a good bunch of nutters like yourselves!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE