Any bikers here???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Mind sharing with us what you have to do with a Transalp to wear out its wheel bearings? :)

Previous owner was a heavy chap and had it rear ended before I owned it so think it was just wear and tear it was probably still the original from 1993.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
160, 000 miles on my old BMW and the wheel bearings are still original. Must be making transalp ones out of cheese !

Just joking, nice bikes.

Richard

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
To be fair it was the same garage that possibly bent the rear disc while changing it and at the time I didn’t know anything about bike mechanics so believed them.

A lot older and wiser now with a more trusted garage doing the jobs on the bike I cant do. Only time it goes in now is for MOT or tricky jobs I can’t be arsed to do myself.

Thankfully the old 600 Transalp is bombproof. It has been a Cat C write-off twice yet its still running strong give or take a few dents in the tank.

Last edited:

Loz*

May 24, 2011
United Kingdom
vespa[1].jpg

Here is my Vespa PX125, not strictly a bike! But practical with a toolbox, spare wheel, electric and kick start. They are very economical if the temptation to tune can be resisted - which isnt easy as a top speed of 55mph begs for a cylinder kit and expansion chamber! The legsheilds provide a bit of protection in the rain. Replaced the open face lid in the pic with full face one now and wired in a buzzer to the indicator circuit - i must be getting old.
Recently got a 1958 Velocette Valiant but it will be quite a while before she gets back on the road as the engine needs a blueprint.

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Hi folks,

I have posted on this thread before but thought I'd update you all, I passed my full bike license last tuesday. Passed my theory, Mod1 and Mod2 all first time!

So my new bike is going to be a Triumph Speedmaster! Oh yesss!

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Thanks Robbi!

I'll try, buying her brand new, so I deffo wanna keep her rubber side down.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Well I tightened up the bearings last night. Took a bit to get the yoke off because I undid the two pinch clamps and the middle bolt on the yoke and it wasn't budging. I spent about ten minutes looking for another place that it might have been attached but all it actually needed was a few taps of a hammer with a wooden board in-between. The adjusting ring called for a c-spanner but I was able to tap it round with a metal rod and the hammer although I'm definitely going to get a proper spanner for next time.

The knocking has gone and the steering still feels smooth although when I take my hands off the handlebars as I'm slowing down they still rock from side to side - quick note, I only found out that loose bearings can cause this yesterday and I always thought it was something to do with wheel alignment as I first noticed it after tightening my chain.

All in all there are no real worries anymore anyway.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Well I tightened up the bearings last night. ... The knocking has gone and the steering still feels smooth

That's good news. Either you didn't pull hard enough when it was on the blocks or you couldn't feel it because it was so slight. Anyway it's a good result. I'm assuming you'll check that the steering will fall from side to side on its own if you lift the bike onto the blocks to get the front tyre off the ground? You don't want that bearing to be too tight.

...although when I take my hands off the handlebars as I'm slowing down they still rock from side to side

A lot of bikes with no steering damper will do that. You're not really supposed to ride along without your hands on the bars. :)

- quick note, I only found out that loose bearings can cause this yesterday and I always thought it was something to do with wheel alignment as I first noticed it after tightening my chain.

You mean the steering head shaking thing, or the clonking noise going over bumps? It wouldn't make a difference to the shaking unless you were to tighten the bearing so much that it would cause damage, but it will definitely matter to the clonks. :)

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
That's good news. Either you didn't pull hard enough when it was on the blocks or you couldn't feel it because it was so slight. Anyway it's a good result. I'm assuming you'll check that the steering will fall from side to side on its own if you lift the bike onto the blocks to get the front tyre off the ground? You don't want that bearing to be too tight.

Yep, falls by itself.

You mean the steering head shaking thing, or the clonking noise going over bumps? It wouldn't make a difference to the shaking unless you were to tighten the bearing so much that it would cause damage, but it will definitely matter to the clonks. :)

The steering head shaking.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Well Done Snarf!

See you on the road :)

Rich

Hi folks,

I have posted on this thread before but thought I'd update you all, I passed my full bike license last tuesday. Passed my theory, Mod1 and Mod2 all first time!

So my new bike is going to be a Triumph Speedmaster! Oh yesss!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Just thinking about a bike to replace the trusty CG125.

I had considered, in approximate order of preference:

BMW F650 GS - twin 800 and apparently new biker friendly
Transalp - the Greek police use them, and having driven on Greek roads, I'd say that is a recommendation
BMW G650 GS - single, bit cheaper than the F650
Triumph Bonneville -800, apparently decent handling and fairly new biker friendly, and classic looks.

Any thoughts? In my head, I fancy heading off to North Africa for a few months, but in reality it's likely to be out for an hour or two at weekends.

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
Doc,

Me personally, I would take the Bonnie, nice cool lines and it's a goer!

Have you sat on any of them? Trying before you buy might make the decision easier.

ATB
Snarf

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Definately try them for size. Some bikes fit, other don't. Reach to the bars and width of tank are worth checking for folk our height, some models are designed for taller riders.

I'd go for a road bike if I envisaged riding on the road 99% of the time. You could pick up a second-hand trailie, something small and light that you can really learn to ride off road on. Push it a bit without fretting about bodywork or not being able to pick it up.
....and the boys can too.:D

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I highly recommend an old 600 Transalp. But then I’m bias since that’s what I ride all year around to commute around Southampton and it's perfect for getting through traffic and being a tall bike you have clear views over most cars to see the road further ahead.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Newbie, with Honda Varadero, Royal Enfield 500 Bullet and a canoe !!

You mean you have worked out how to carry a Canoe on the bikes! That I would like to see. LOL

I still want to get a SOT Kayak but having a bike and a open top car there is no way i can carry one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE