Any bee keepers on the forum?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I have a bees nest in my attic, they've been there since late summer, producing combs of honey but not overly bothering us living below.

A few weeks ago as the temperature dropped and they became virtually inactive, I went for a little shufty and managed to break part of a comb off and brought it downstairs, the honey was very clear and dripping all over the place, tasted great!

I'm wondering if it would be possible to take the nest and put it into a hive (of sorts) and keep the bees, harvesting a little honey once in a while, but more for the enjoyment of it.

As usual, its not something I want to spend loads of money on and I'd be willing to make a hive (seen some "Top Bar" hives on Youtube) but what are the peculiarities that I need to be aware of if I started down this route?

Anyone got any advice they could pass on?

Cheers

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hi Pete,

It is indeed possible to move a colony. Unfortunately, moving them at this time of year when they cannot fly may well kill them off. They have very few workers in Winter, can often not fly due to temperature, and the queen will be laying very little if at all. Its a good time of year to remove the colony to prevent problems, but not to hive them.

Is the comb readily accessible?

If so, you could wait till Spring and move them then (get a bee keeper to help you suited up). If not, it may be better to get rid now.

Happy to answer any questions

H

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Cheers Hugh,

The comb is quite accessible, hanging from the roof supports, so I can get most of the way around it. However, it'll mean bringing it through the house - something I'll have to do when everyone is out for the day.

I've been looking at some kit on Ebay which doesn't seem too badly priced - all except for the hives themselves - so I might just make a few tentative investments.

When the time comes, can I just take the whole nest and put it into a hive box?

Ogri the trog

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sadly not Pete, no, or at least not if you want to keep the colony for honey purposes. What you can do though is transfer the bees, and let them "rob out" any honey they have left which will get them off to a good start. Ideally you want to do this before the queen lays too many eggs when they start to become active. In a hive for honey, you need the comb on frames that can be manipulated (inside a wooden thing like a picture frame - check my post on "beginners beekeeping" to see some).

A top bar hive would be straightforward to a man of your skill. It gives somewhat lower yields to a more traditional hive, but is much simpler to make.

When you remove the nest you need to scrub down and remove any traces of wax or honey and seal up where they got in. If you don't you WILL get another swarm :)

Transferring them is fairly straightforward, so don't worry about that too much.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I do keep bees my self and can echo Hugh's words for he is more experienced than me. Might be worth building a bait box to try and catch any swarms in future or if you manage to move the colony successfully they will eventually swarm so you can catch them In the bait box and then transfer them to another hive. As Hugh said you will want a suit and a smoker is very useful too, as is a hive tool- all can be picked up at reasonable prices, suits being the steepest. It is a good idea to have a bee mentor if you will, someone who's got more experience and can offer advice and assistance. That's how me and my dad got started its a good way to really get into the hobby. Hope this helps mate :)

Feb 27, 2012
East sussex
Hi,

Looks like most important things have been said so wait until spring when they'll be able to start building the colony. They shouldn't bother you over the winter.

I keep top bar hives and can recommend them as a low cost, low maintenance way of keeping bees though your honey yields will be lower than with the more common hive types. Take a look at biobees.com for info on top bar beekeeping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE