Our bees!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I thought some of you may be interested to see some photos I'll take from time to time of the beehives and honey etc. I talk to British Red about bees and he shares his knowledge and advice and I thought there may be some other bee keepers amongst us who could chat about the subject. Sorry for not having any inside the hive photos but as any bee keeper will tell you it's not that easy to do mid way through an inspection.

Anyway here are a few photos:

imagejpg1_zpscc708d7e.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd5f4f724.jpg

imagejpg3_zps04e7afc4.jpg

The crystallised honey is from rape seed, the non crystallised is mixed flower and the stuff there're making now is mainly Himalayan balsam and rosebay willow herb- tasty stuff!

Hope you enjoy them :).

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Brilliant subject to read about, so very important to all of us directly or indirectly; keep up the good work Cameron and keep posting on your progress :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Brilliant subject to read about, so very important to all of us directly or indirectly; keep up the good work Cameron and keep posting on your progress :)

Thanks Mac! And yeah there fascinating creatures and they are very interesting! :)

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
makes me want an inch thick slab of granary toast and a piece of the comb to break over it, have you been beekeeping for long?

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
makes me want an inch thick slab of granary toast and a piece of the comb to break over it, have you been beekeeping for long?

Nom nom nom!

Just over a year now, we started of with one colony and split them when they swarmed and we now have three healthy ones. We're really into it one and we really enjoy it :).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It'd be worth pointing the hives in different directions Cam - it helps preventing the flying workers "drifting" between hives :)

Great photos btw!

Sad to say our bees will be going shortly - my wife has developed a severe reaction to bee stings :(

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
It'd be worth pointing the hives in different directions Cam - it helps preventing the flying workers "drifting" between hives :)

Great photos btw!

Sad to say our bees will be going shortly - my wife has developed a severe reaction to bee stings :(

Good idea! Thanks :).

That's a real shame- I hope she's okay and avoids any stings in future.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales

Great photos btw!

I'm really sorry to hear that Hugh; all that enthusiasm and hard work. I've loved reading your bee-keeping exploits but obviously BB's health has to come first, eh?

Looks like our very own Cameron intends to pick it up and run with it though :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'm really sorry to hear that Hugh; all that enthusiasm and hard work. I've loved reading your bee-keeping exploits but obviously BB's health has to come first, eh?

That would be nice but I've got a long way to go yet! :D

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I've wanted to get into it myself, city slicker bee's like a project i seen running in London, i live in a high rise tower block and tried to get the council to allow me to put a hive on the roof but it was a dead end quest, one day when i move back to the country it will be one of the top priorities

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've wanted to get into it myself, city slicker bee's like a project i seen running in London, i live in a high rise tower block and tried to get the council to allow me to put a hive on the roof but it was a dead end quest, one day when i move back to the country it will be one of the top priorities

Shame they were having none of- daft really. Aye mate if you get moved defo get a hive, really great hobby! :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Exactly so - once BB had the reaction there was no question in my mind. All my hives are moving in the locality - I was working on the beginners beekeeping course this year and have sold complete hives to the beginners. My mentor will help me move and install them and I have offered advice to the new keepers over their first year. One hive is going to my buddies wife so I can still visit :)

I think Cameron will ably keep up the beekeeping side for BCUK and I look forward to reading about his fun!

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Exactly so - once BB had the reaction there was no question in my mind. All my hives are moving in the locality - I was working on the beginners beekeeping course this year and have sold complete hives to the beginners. My mentor will help me move and install them and I have offered advice to the new keepers over their first year. One hive is going to my buddies wife so I can still visit :)

I think Cameron will ably keep up the beekeeping side for BCUK and I look forward to reading about his fun!

That's great- and they'll be giving others pleasure for years to come :eek:.

Cheers, and I hope to take some more indepth photos soon :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
dDo you know how to get rid of the crystalisation Cam?

For the liquid yes, I put the sealed jar into some very hot water and it goes back to runny instantly. With the comb- as long as it's still capped it has t crystallised, it's just the bits round the edges. So were ok for that- we should be getting some Himalayan balsam honey soon and that won't crystallise :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE