Anvil or substitutes??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I ambled into the side entrance of the rail head hardening plant at Workington and asked the first bloke I saw wearing a boilersuit if there was any chance of scrounging an off cut of railway line.

"Aye marra, I'll get you a bit out skip"

Then I had a section of 110 Lb per yard railway line about 18 inches long and he wouldn't even take any money for it.

I remember the days there was (seemed to me as a lad) permenant sunset in that diection at night. Its a sad place now. I know people who work there.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I remember the days there was (seemed to me as a lad) permenant sunset in that diection at night. Its a sad place now. I know people who work there.

My old welding instructor was quite high up at Chapel Bank (if I remember right) but then had a heart attack and had to take a lower stress job training us numpties. Genius of a bloke and had time for anyone who put some effort in.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i've had anvils made from most junkyard objects over the years I think :D

Rail track in this country is rounded on the top and makes it less than useful for blades (also flexes and is very loud in use unless on end)

I (or H) section bar is no good at all! It is like a ruddy bell and will make your ears bleed!

Mild steel lump of any size is very good as long as you have the flat surface to work on :)

Sledge hammer (use the face and regrind to flat) is great if you can mount it (angle iron welded to it and bolted down, sink half of head into log, etc). It is basically a small heattreated anvil and so just right (the square Bachos are best due to the shape ;) )

Splitting wedges can work well too, if a little small on top

My teaching anvils are made from sections of fork lift truck spike that has angle iron or spikes welded on to them.

Unless you need the beak (horn), don't bother with it. Even on a large (100lb+) anvil it is a bell that makes the whole thing less fun to work on. I do 99% of my work on a 5" square lump of steel, the other 1% (straightening and some bending) is done on my brand new and very expensive London pattern 100kg anvil ;)

PRKL

Nomad
Jan 27, 2010
Finland
Hey dave and others who arent happy about the anvil-noise.

If you stick some magnets into base of the anvil,it ll make it more quiet.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
anvils, chains, rubber hosing, etc do make a small amount of difference but to be honest it's nothing compared to having a lump without the bells on the end!

I have a small anvil in my outdoor workshop that I bought on ebay a few years back. The pics looked like it was a small london pattern anvil weighing about 40lbs. It turned out that it was a homemade anvil that was the shape of the classic anvil, but cut from 2 1/2" thick plate. That's not a problem really ;) It was very noisy to use, even when embedded and chained down under serious tension to a log buried in the ground. Then I chopped a couple of inches off the beak and that improved it a lot more than any of the "stick xxx on to it" methods.

My 50lb stump anvil set into a log is far far quieter than my 100kg london anvil that sits on a buried stump, with any attempt to dull the sounds. Most of those techniques that I tried ended up getting on my nerves in their own right anyway (magnets kept slipping off or I would catch things on them as I walked past, etc), heavy chains wrapped around it helped more than the magnet but got in the way sometimes, rubber stuck to it or wrapped around it obviously ended up getting me a face full of smoke :rolleyes:

at the end of the day, make use of what you have. if trying to make a noisy anvl a bit quieter is easier/more cost efficient for you then do it. :)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
:D - my big one has a crack in the body some where - dead as a ding bat.

even then I still wear hearing protection. - it cuts out all the high pitched stuff and helps with the hammer ringing past your ear too.

I am surprised at how quiet the rail anvil is. It sits on a good stack of wood and has a limited ring to it.
atb
Andy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE