Day Out Antler hunt success

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
I’ve searched for many years to find even one good antler from a Red stag.
Then yesterday on a walk from home with the missus...admittedly through Red deer territory I found (read: literally looked down and found) not just one but the pair within 10’ of each other, between several scratching trees.
Magnificent set too, 7 points on each so a 14 pointer.
FABA9CC0-A33D-47F6-A098-E433040165F9.jpegB011C0A4-308C-48B5-A097-C4538736E94C.jpeg
Pretty chuffed.
I plan to mount them, not in a traditional way but side by side flat on a backboard.
The points are a little worn from scratching and fighting I’d guess and that’s where I need a little advice; the chipped and gouged tips, would you just sand them to smother points?
Thanks
Scott

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Congratulations Scott, that’s a lovely rack. I’m glad your not going to cut them up.
Regards the tines, nice to leave them as, is but it’s up to you.

Reactions: ScottE

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
It's nice to see this topic, as it's surprising how many people dont realise that you can find these antlers and that they are shed by the Deer, most people think they only come from dead deer, after they have been shot. I have been shouted at many times when carrying Antlers home, through lack of knowledge by the hecklers, wouldn't beleive it when I explained it to them.

ScottE

Nomad
Mar 22, 2017
Norfolk
It's nice to see this topic, as it's surprising how many people dont realise that you can find these antlers and that they are shed by the Deer, most people think they only come from dead deer, after they have been shot. I have been shouted at many times when carrying Antlers home, through lack of knowledge by the hecklers, wouldn't beleive it when I explained it to them.
Absolutely, got some weird looks on the way home.
And, what fascinating creatures they are, to regrow all that majesty bigger each year....

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Scott: No cosmetic repairs, please. There's a biological history to the tine damage that I'd always want to look at.
That's a "nice rack of sheds" as we would say. You are most fortunate to find the pair.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE