Antler Ferro Rods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 12, 2014
Hampshire
Hello,

I was hoping someone could help and give me some guidance with regard to making my own antler ferro rods.

A good friend of mine works for the Forestry Commission and recently brought me back some antler. I would like to work this to create my own ferro rods as I think these look great and it is always nice to make your own equipment as opposed to buying machine made rods. I have watched several YouTube videos for tutorials, but wanted to ask on here what tools I would need to purchase to carry out the work from start to finish.

Would it be enough to use only a hacksaw, drill, belt sander and some expoy? Or should I be looking at buying a Dremel?

Thank you in advance for your help!

ATB

Calum

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Hacksaw with nice blade will cut no bother at all. Drill will work fine. Files and sandpaper will do great just takes longer to get a shine, if you want, compared to a buff.

the bit to watch is:- the core can be exposed if you select too thick a bit then sand down. If you cut a section top and bottom the core will be exposed.

Now, you can cap the core on the top with a nice bit wood or a side cut slab of antler. I normally araldite and pin the top cap with 2mm silver wire but a nail or a bit brass welding rod would do.
Hope this helps. If you get it wrong, heat the araldite with hot air gun and it will pull out.

Jan 12, 2014
Hampshire
Thank you all for the quick replies and advice. With regard to sandpaper, what grit would you tend to use and finish on?

Dark Horse Dave

Apr 5, 2007
Surrey / South West London
Depends how fancy you want it really. A hacksaw, bit & brace drill, some epoxy and sandpaper did this big boy:

6ff3853d3454501cddd15df86989cfb1.jpg

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I posted this by way of a question elsewhere but no response so when I find the time I’m going to attempt the following with a view to creating a reusable ferro rod holder:

1. Source a suitably sized dye and cut 20mm of thread into one end of the ferro rod if possible
2. Set (very carefully with Devcon) a correspondingly sized stainless steel nut into a piece of antler

If it works as I envisage I’ll put it on here.

K

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Sandpaper. Well, erm, the first rough piece lying on the floor!!!!:eek: Okay, maybe 120 then 240. I usually buff at that point. File off raised bits to expose white if desired, then 120/240/600 should do. Nothing fancy.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I posted this by way of a question elsewhere but no response so when I find the time I’m going to attempt the following with a view to creating a reusable ferro rod holder:

1. Source a suitably sized dye and cut 20mm of thread into one end of the ferro rod if possible
2. Set (very carefully with Devcon) a correspondingly sized stainless steel nut into a piece of antler

If it works as I envisage I’ll put it on here.

K

you can buy ferro rods with a thread...

finnmike

Jul 22, 2014
Finland
Hi !

A little bit off topic but I dont have much experience with different firerods and would like to know how those cheap chinese rods differ from quolity ones ?
Have anyone good ideas where i could purchase quolity ones. You can send PM to me if it is not allowed to show shop name etc.

MaddogMatt

Oct 9, 2015
Suburban West Birmingham
I had some 8x80mm and they are not really worth the bother, but then got a 13x130mm (1/2"x5") from the Philippines, works a treat. Search ebay for 'huge ferrocerium rod', should be around £3.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE