Antique telescope

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy y'all!
Dad found this in a charity shop earlier today for 95p!

scope.jpg

scope2.jpg

scope3.jpg

As you can see, it's a little pocket telescope, made of brass. The green gunk on it appears to be glue - we think it had leather around it originally. It's a really lovely little telescope, nothing "serious", but would be suitable for having in your pocket on a hillwalk to take a slightly closer look at wildlife, or similar. Alternatively, it could perhaps also be a monocular equivilent to opera glasses. Either way, as you can see, it was made by a "Lennie" in Edinburgh. There was a family-run Opticians business in Edinburgh from 1840 to 1921 called Lennie, and I assume they are the same.

Can anyone give me an approximate date or value, perhaps? I've seen a couple Lennie expanding telescopes, all of which had the name engraved in a script rather than print, which makes me think this is a later one. I don't think he has any intention of selling it, but he's been remarkably lucky with getting bargains on cameras recently so I'm curious about whether that's extended to telescopes too :p Interestingly, one of the ones I've seen had a wooden exterior - the knurling and details all looked comparable.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!
Pete

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice find :D :approve:

Usually leather covered, sometimes sharkskin.
iiirc the value is heavily dependant on the condition of the lenses. That said, these can be obtained and replaced if needed.

Hopefully someone who knows a lot more than I do will be along to give some kind of figure.

atb,
Toddy.........interested 'cos we've got it's big brother up the loft, and it needs some tlc.

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi Pete

that's a fantastic little scope, the price was totally 'bargainous' too (your dad obviously has a keen eye for a bargain!!)

are you sure that the green stuff isn't copper oxide leeching from the brass??, though i reckon you're right about the leather (or possibly leatherette) binding ;) )

how good are the optics?

regards, john.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Nice find :D :approve:

Usually leather covered, sometimes sharkskin.
iiirc the value is heavily dependant on the condition of the lenses. That said, these can be obtained and replaced if needed.

Hopefully someone who knows a lot more than I do will be along to give some kind of figure.

atb,
Toddy.........interested 'cos we've got it's big brother up the loft, and it needs some tlc.

Ahh I forgot to mention lenses :D Dusty, but not in bad shape, the image is nice and clear - magnification is only about 2x, but I don't imagine you'd expect much more from something like this.

Wanna show some pics of the big 'un? :D I've little time for modern telescopes, but love old ones :D

Pete

PS:
johnbaz - sorry mate, cross posted! I'm sure that the green isn't oxidising, it's raised from the surface enough and I think it's a bit too dark really - I might be wrong of course, or it might be something else entirely that got there by accident!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:eek: When I find it, I'll take some photos and pester HWMBLT to post them. I know it's up the loft, in a box of brass things, somewhere under the eaves at the front of the house.........but there's like 20 million other boxes up there too :rolleyes:
I need a skip :(

It opens up in three pieces, comes out about 25cms long I think. One of the lenses has a chip in at one edge, about the size of half a 5p coin. The leather was still on this one when it was given to my husband as a little boy, it was just an old brass thing then. The leather perished and has mostly all come away though there are little bits still attached at the knurling.

cheers,
Toddy

pwb

What a great looking little scope Pete :) , good find Dad :D .

Like Toddy, I've got a larger version, 6" closed telescoping three times to about 16" open.

Don't know much about it other than it belonged to my grandfather and lost it's leather long ago also it needs a dam good clean :rolleyes: .

it was made by a "Lennie" in Edinburgh. There was a family-run Opticians business in Edinburgh from 1840 to 1921 called Lennie, and I assume they are the same.
I've seen a couple Lennie expanding telescopes, all of which had the name engraved in a script rather than print, which makes me think this is a later one.

Here's a not very good pic of the engraving on mine :

DSC02320Small.jpg

Cheers,

Pete.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
:eek: When I find it, I'll take some photos and pester HWMBLT to post them. I know it's up the loft, in a box of brass things, somewhere under the eaves at the front of the house.........but there's like 20 million other boxes up there too :rolleyes:
I need a skip :(

It opens up in three pieces, comes out about 25cms long I think. One of the lenses has a chip in at one edge, about the size of half a 5p coin. The leather was still on this one when it was given to my husband as a little boy, it was just an old brass thing then. The leather perished and has mostly all come away though there are little bits still attached at the knurling.

cheers,
Toddy
Pah, you don't need a skip, you need a yard sale - skips are for the lazy! :p
It sounds nice though :D

What a great looking little scope Pete :) , good find Dad :D .

Like Toddy, I've got a larger version, 6" closed telescoping three times to about 16" open.

Don't know much about it other than it belonged to my grandfather and lost it's leather long ago also it needs a dam good clean :rolleyes: .

Here's a not very good pic of the engraving on mine :

Cheers,

Pete.

Looks nice :D Got a pic of the whole thing?

Pete

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thats a cracking find. I've got one complete with its leather and carrying/shoulder strap, this belonged to my grandad, i'll try and get my lad to post some pictures.

Rob

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Puub, that one looks like the bigger brother of the one in the loft........there are only three segments on it.
Sorry folks, I've had a horrendous cold and sore throat, and now have bronchitis, it takes me all my time to climb the stairs just now, I'm just not up to clambering up the loft .....I cannae breathe :rolleyes: :eek:

I'll get there eventually, or pester someone to go for a search.

Neat thread :approve:

cheers,
M

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Here you go Pete.
The lenses look OK I'll give it a clean and see what I can see , if anything :D .

Toddy, your loft sounds interesting - box of brass things eh ... I'll help you clean it out ;) :) .

ATB,

Pete.
That looks great :D

Thats a cracking find. I've got one complete with its leather and carrying/shoulder strap, this belonged to my grandad, i'll try and get my lad to post some pictures.

Rob
Please do, twould be nice to see the complete item :D

Puub, that one looks like the bigger brother of the one in the loft........there are only three segments on it.
Sorry folks, I've had a horrendous cold and sore throat, and now have bronchitis, it takes me all my time to climb the stairs just now, I'm just not up to clambering up the loft .....I cannae breathe :rolleyes: :eek:

I'll get there eventually, or pester someone to go for a search.

Neat thread :approve:

cheers,
M

Get well soon Toddy!!

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE