Anticipation

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
At lasts weeks local boot market I met a guy who said he has a couple of axes for me, I will collect them tomorrow with luck, one is described as being square looking, Kent patten me thinks, the other was described as being as, kind of rounded and drops down a bit,I am hoping for a bearded axe with a bit of luck. The anticipation has been biting all week.
If I am lucky I will post a picture tomorrow.
This is the last axe I got from the guy, he had it in his possession for two minutes until I paid him twice what he paid for it, we were both happy on the trade, £4 a bit of work and this was the result. Brades 2.5 pounder
Rehandle004_zpsa95e82a1.jpg

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Different one Kepis mate, that one was much smaller, about 1.1 pound but also with a large handle.
dice is dice !

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What wood have you used for the handle? Good work as always (what are those things in the picture that look like dice?)

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Wood came from a tree Robin, dice came from Photobucket.
Nice handle that HillBill, might be worth a try, I made a few handles from apple wood that came from a tree in my garden, man are they hard to work on after a year or so, I have one in stock, tried whittling it and gave up.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well no bearded jobbie for Hugo, but I did come away with a Gilpin of Cannock and another Kent patten axe, both have the original handles, the larger axe is the Gilpin, there is no wooden wedge in the head so I'll have the handle off do a bit of light sanding and oil, then fit a new oak wedge.
This axe has already bitten my thumb just getting it out of my foraging bag when I got it home.
The small one will be cleaned up as well.
A few pictures as promised.
bellowsandaxes015_zpsedc38189.jpg

bellowsandaxes014_zps5600e4bf.jpg

bellowsandaxes012_zps7b664811.jpg

bellowsandaxes010_zps2b2123bd.jpg

Might remember to put up some after refurb pictures later.

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Lovely job those mate, I got this today, i 'rediscovered' it in the workshop up the lakes:)

DSCN9518.jpg

DSCN9520.jpg

Big old Elwell, not sure of the poundage on it, but it isnt light

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
That will clean up nicely.
I have three large axes here at Hugo Towers to refurb, ash is on my forage list.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Well this is after a refurb, not doing anything else to them.
They are sharp and clean now, the big Gilpin axe might get a new haft if I am going to keep it.
Axesrefurb001_zps18750eb3.jpg

Axesrefurb002_zps2fac9169.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE